Street Lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

Does anyone have any comments re: council cut-backs on street lighting. I am an early morning cyclist, and two years ago I could cycle quite happily around Hemel Hempstead, and beyond, safe in the glare of lamp posts at any time of day or night. Then they started cut-backs, and many of the quieter streets only came on at 6am. This year it's changed to 6-15am before they illuminate my route. What's more, it changes from week to week. One day it's dark, and the next they switch the lights on all night! Main roads are fine, but many of the side roads and lanes become twice as dangerous in the pitch black.
I know it's all down to saving money, but cyclists, and I dare say pedestrians, get a raw deal. I need the full beam on my MoonPower front light far more these days, and the charge runs down much quicker!:angry:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Switch the bloody lot off permanently!

Mile195

Veteran
I cycle to and from work in the dark (well at this time of year anyway). IMO we don't need nearly as much street-lighting as we have, in fact I think it makes things stand out less. I paticularly notice this when I'm riding my motorbike - when everything is bathed in the same orange glow, far fewer things stand out. However, on a dark road a decent rear light is a lot more obvious, as are reflective parts of clothing.

If the council in my area wanted to turn them all off, I don't think I'd have much to say. In fact, a little less light pollution and a few more stars in the sky instead might actually be quite nice...

mchunt

Most of Letchworth has had their lights turned off all night but not on my road :-( a light is annoyingly right outside bedroom window.

I would rather have no lights as it allows you to see the stars, lets me sleep and is better for security as its more obvious when the security light is triggered. No street lights also encourages car drivers to turn their lights on when it is dawn/dusk rather than taking a chance without them.

compo

Veteran
I remember when most street lights used to go off around midnight, even on main roads. On the other hand we didn't have such a 24 hour society that we seem to have now.

wisdom

Guru
Too many streetlights in my opinion.I actually prefer the lesser lit areas of my commute,there is not as much glare and my lights become more effective.:eek:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I ride on unlit country lanes and the few overtakes i get give a lot more room than on lit roads so i think its safer to ride on unlit areas assuming your lights are up to scratch.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I remember when most street lights used to go off around midnight, even on main roads. On the other hand we didn't have such a 24 hour society that we seem to have now.
Yep, those were the good days of street lighting :smile:. The trouble with living in large cities (and yes, Melbourne is a fairly large city, at 4 million people, even if it's small compared to London) is that the light and noise pollution is very hard to escape. This is why I live 30km (by road) from the CBD and have fairly long commutes, because the last time I moved house, I deliberately picked an outer suburb with minimal street lighting and as little noise as possible.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Energy saving street lighting here: given we practically see no daylight for most of the year, how many cateyes must one have to see the potholes? :wacko:
Run out of handlebar space, put a light on my helmet as extra.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The street lights are off between midnight (ish) and 5 am - when I wake in the night I look to see if the light is on as my first clue as to whether it is almost morning or not. On main roads every other light is off I think. The other thing the council has done is on on stretch of road they have changed from the orange old sodium ones to white LED ones. I find that they are bright but distinct pools of light, and have taken a bit to get used to.

OP
OP
Skipper

Skipper

Well I guess I'm out numbered here! Seems everyone likes the dark. I must be just a grumpy old git! It's just harder to pick out the potholes, of which there are increasingly more, when it's pitch black. I do admit though that cars approaching from behind and ahead are far more visible. I have the MoonPower 300, which emits 300 lumens. Does anyone recommend something better, that won't break the bank. I paid about £60 for it, and don't want to stretch the budget too much further.

subaqua

What’s the point
Then one day you must try a FNRttC.
Sometimes, the lanes, the night, the moon, the stars, are just magical.

we had a great clear night here last Thursday and I managed to point out a lot of the constellations to my 5yr old boy. he was fascinated . quite a few were not visible due to the light pollution would love the lights to be off permanently . growing up in Rural wales with little or no street lighting was great.

Top Bottom