Strengthening the VMO muscles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also don't assume the source of the pain is the cause. I had patella pain but it was caused by, well just about everything else, tight hamstrings, tight adductors, tight sartorial and a few others. Mrs C has knee pain but it's caused by weak glutes.

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
I must admit I have the tightest calves and hamstrings in the world. I've never been close to being able to touch my toes! I essentially need new legs

vickster

Legendary Member
Lots of stuff a physio can help you with there

My calves are ridiculously tight too, however thanks to a bone spur on my fibula I can't stretch or massage them :sad:

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
Well I guess I just need to take it easy on the bike wherever possible and hope that seeing a physio won't take too long via my GP (unfortunately I need to wait until I move, so won't get chance until December - will be a nice Christmas present to myself though... Let's hope Lambeth have a short waiting time)

Thanks both once again for reading, help and advice - it's much appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
I very much doubt Lambeth will unfortunately, but fingers crossed

In the meantime, keep stretching and rolling

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
Yeah Lambeth will have a long waiting time, much like the rest of London. Will be far shorter than Newham where I currently live though!

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll find private physios that close to London costly, maybe consider looking in the burbs. Some of the poncy places around Clapham charge £100+

If cycling is the goal, I'd see Nicole at peloton in Putney

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
You'll find private physios that close to London costly, maybe consider looking in the burbs. Some of the poncy places around Clapham charge £100+

If cycling is the goal, I'd see Nicole at peloton in Putney

Yeah that was the physio I was tempted to go to for an initial assessment and then possibly, following selling one of my kidneys, the bike fit thing too. Could probably just about afford 150 quid I reckon

vickster

Legendary Member
See what she says first. She is very thorough

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
I'm just worried it'll end up being 'you need 6 sessions' which I definitely cannot afford. But you don't know until you ask I guess!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm just worried it'll end up being 'you need 6 sessions' which I definitely cannot afford. But you don't know until you ask I guess!
Just tell her what you want to know, the initial hour might be enough for a diagnosis and exercise programme. If you are self paying, she'll get you on the right track ASAP

Just tell her what you want to know, the initial hour might be enough for a diagnosis and exercise programme. If you are self paying, she'll get you on the right track ASAP
This.

I was pretty clueless when my knee went, totally lost in fact. The first physio relieved the pain short term and the second instilled into me that i had reached the age where I needed to be proactive. Neither of them directly solved the problem but each of them contributed to me solving the problem.

I also bought a good book on stretching which shows you all the muscle groups. This helped enormously to visualize what was going on, where muscles attached and which muscles might be responsible for the pain and stiffness, which naturally led on to rolling those areas and youtube was invaluable for rolling technique.

This may not be applicable to you but I say it for example. It's normal I think, to feel a bit lost and frustrated but slowly you'll find a path.

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
Cheers - I'll definitely take a look at that. I've booked myself in for an appointment, so let's see what happens!

Top Bottom