Stress!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I`m putting my house up for sale soon so needless to say I have all the delights of the movexx(;)

This is the first time I have moved from house to house, when I bought this one 8 years ago I was leaving home (ahhhhh:laugh:)

Anybody moved recently and got any tips on how to stay sane during the whole thing, and did you get removals in, or do the job yourself??

Any answers very welcome:thumbsup::biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Over the past 12 years we have moved house 4 times, I leave it all to 'er indoors and we have alway got professional removal men in. (They are unsured against damages, one move they dropped and broke a tv, they paid up very quickly)

Try and be methodical, but not anal about your packing (I have worked as a furniture remover and have seen some extreme cases of OCD ;)!).

If you're moving directly from one house to another and not needing to keep things in storage it should be a lot easier. Keep things like first aid, kettle/biscuits/sugar etc. handy becasue you WILL be wanting a cuppa throughout the day at both ends.

If you haven't got any valuable paintings/sculptures etc. and you haven't got too far to go, or very heavy items (piano, huge double bed etc.) then have a go at moving yourself, assuming you're fit, or have helpful friends and relatives, and treat them all to a takeaway pizza/Indian/load of beers afterwards.

If it's quite local, then shuttle runs with 'teams' to load and unload will speed things up.

Take it easy, though, and don't panic or stress. :biggrin:

Good luck!

PaulB

Legendary Member
There are three main things to remember; 1. Get removal men in. 2. Get removal men in, and D. Get removal men in.

Do not attempt to do it yourself. One time, I was probably the fittest I'd ever been in my life and thought I could do it all myself. It took almost a month for the pain to subside!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

PaulB said:
There are three main things to remember; 1. Get removal men in. 2. Get removal men in, and D. Get removal men in.
PaulB said:
Do not attempt to do it yourself. One time, I was probably the fittest I'd ever been in my life and thought I could do it all myself. It took almost a month for the pain to subside!

Thanks Paul, I`m convinced:biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for the other tips and replies too - the kettle etc (survival kit I suppose;)) is a very good point, we all need to get the priorities right!!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Dayvo said:
Try and be methodical, but not anal about your packing (I have worked as a furniture remover and have seen some extreme cases of OCD :biggrin:!).

OCD with packing?:biggrin::eek:

How do people manage that one?!!! Tell me more I`m intrigued:eek::laugh:

With me anything gets thrown in any box!!!

Moved twice recently about to be three times. I got a removal firm to do it the first time but I did it myself the 2nd time including putting stuff in storage. I shall largely do it myself the 3rd time but get a part move company in for big stuff. The hardest part is packing and unpacking.

Dayvo said:
Try and be methodical, but not anal about your packing (I have worked as a furniture remover and have seen some extreme cases of OCD :biggrin:!).

do share

i'll be moving both myself and my fiancee (getting married and moving in together :biggrin:)

the plan is currently to move her then move my stuff across too, this is taking the form of getting a van, getting things from her parents in derbyshire, my parents in yorkshire and our stuff across the small city we live in, in the midlands.

should be fun.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have moved twice and I did the moves myself with a hired truck. A 7 1/2 ton truck from London to Manchester over night and then a Transit Luton back and forth across Manchester in a day.

I also moved my folks from London to Manchester with two trips in a 7 1/2 tonner over one weekend and several trips before hand with my Astra van and trailer.

I then did a house move for friends from Yorkshire to Inverness over a weekend hire with another 7 1/2 ton truck overall I drove 1300 miles that weekend.
Then I had to move them back when they got fed up of Scotland (how can anyone get fed up with Scotland???) and I flew up there and stuffed them in a 3 1/2 ton van and brought them back all in a day.

House moves are hard work and if you can afford it get removal men. However, if you have lots of friends and nothing of great value then hiring a truck can be great fun.

However you do it have some friends at each end to help clear rubbish and make tea at the old house and to read box labels, help fit light bulbs and make tea and order pizza at the other end.

Night Train said:
Then I had to move them back when they got fed up of Scotland (how can anyone get fed up with Scotland???) and I flew up there and stuffed them in a 3 1/2 ton van and brought them back all in a day.

I can answer that....but another time.

That's what I did, a 3.5 tonne with a taillift. Took me two journeys with a few carloads as well and a transit van load brought down later by a friend. I'm not particularly strong but I'm cunning and don't know when I'm beaten :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
For DIY moves a tail lift is essential. Most of the time it is just used as a large step up to save buzzing it it up and down. The only times I have used the tail lift to lift is for washing machines.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A friend of mine has recently completed a DIY move and the distance between the two houses was about 1/2 mile. She's fit and healthy or rather , she was fit and healthy before the move. She's just about recovered from the aches and pains and bruising that she acquired during the move. She wishes that she'd let a removal company do the job.

GrahamG

Guru
I DIY'd last time - one load of stuff from Birmingham to Bristol and another from Plymouth to Bristol, then some furniture from Swindon to Bristol. Two and a half tranny van loads and three flights of stairs in Bristol. That was the most knackering long weekend I have ever had. Still cost effective enough to do it again though.

Top Bottom