Stress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Admin said:
Daft as it sounds, it was a pedantic boss that drove me mad.

I don't think you should ever underestimate the effect a bad boss can have. It can make a frustrating or stressy job ten times worse. It is all the worse if the boss is an interfering bean counter, except when you really need support with something and you are told to sort it yourself. This sort of thing can really get you down.

I was signed off by the doctor for a week in October under the general heading of 'stress' (completely run out of humph is how I would describe it), and I was ordered to go for bike rides through the local countryside to get back into balance again. I did a couple of longish tours in brilliant weather, and it was a nice thought that this was literally what the doctor ordered!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I found Cycling this year and it has done more for me than any pill or counselling session ever has, yet not on edocter I hav eseen in ten years has even mentioned to me that it would be a good idea.

JMHO

I think everbody gets down about things at some stage and we all have our own ways of dealing with them. I suppose I am fortunate in that I have never sought outside help with any problems and what works for me is to simply face a difficult matter head on and find a solution.

I think that's what you've done here. In finding cycling you've actually found something in yourself and unlike the effects of pills it's 100% real and can only lead you on from strength to strength. It's just a shame that not everbody seems to be able to do something similar.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Unkraut said:
I don't think you should ever underestimate the effect a bad boss can have. It can make a frustrating or stressy job ten times worse. It is all the worse if the boss is an interfering bean counter, except when you really need support with something and you are told to sort it yourself. This sort of thing can really get you down.

I was signed off by the doctor for a week in October under the general heading of 'stress' (completely run out of humph is how I would describe it), and I was ordered to go for bike rides through the local countryside to get back into balance again. I did a couple of longish tours in brilliant weather, and it was a nice thought that this was literally what the doctor ordered!

I think execise as a way of dealing with a lot of problems ,has been talked about before,and i agree with that,but the nature of a driving job,being sat for up to ten hours in a day,contributes highly to the problem,enforced by the problems and incidents that happen while doing it.But sometimes,a helping hand is needed,in the form of tablets,to aid recovery.
Another hit the nail on the head moment here.you say run out of humph?good way to describe it,i just feel tired of things,no energy to deal with them.Sort of sick and tired thing,had enough of the conflict.I suppose at some point it manifests itslef,and hey presto,here we are.

I counteract the effect of stress and feeling down (often mental and nervous exhaustion) by cycling and going to the gym. Apparently this releases chemicals into the brain which make you feel better.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've been "very very fed up" on a few occasions... I wouldn't class it as depression*, as I found it relatively easy to overcome... doc once gave me sleeping tabs, as I was finding it hard to get some rest**, and 2 nights on those (and feeling f*cking weird in the daytime) told me I never want to take any medication which messes around wth your head, hormones or whatever it is they do. Fresh air, exercise, and if possible/necessary change your circumstances; these are the keys. There are thousands of people taking medication that they simply don't need, and would probably be better off without.

*Thankfully I don't think I've ever been long term depressed, and for those who are, well maybe medication is one part of the solution, but I reckon it should only ever be a short term thing.

**Have always been a bit of an insomniac, though... I just became an early riser...I love being out and about (with the bike, or the dog) when the rest of the world is still in bed. This morning, for example, I was walking in the woods with the dog at 6.30am, with a torch ... marvellous, it was! :biggrin:

Smeggers

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who have posted.

My mums been clinically depressed for about 15 years now - and some of the posts on here go a long way to helping me understand it.

Thanks.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Thats my fave time of the day too,when i get up that is.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Smeggers said:
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who have posted.

My mums been clinically depressed for about 15 years now - and some of the posts on here go a long way to helping me understand it.

Thanks.

I think getting things like this in the open,and getting everyones feedback does help,like i said earlier,getting it off your chest does help,and as you have pointed out,it can answer others questions too,or help to.
One thing did surprise me,when my doctor told me it can be hereditary,as my mother has a history of it too.But if you want to ask anything,something that might be on your mind,like certain ways that we might react or things we do,when we are having this problem,Dont hesitate,and ill give you my experience,pm too if you prefer.

Smeggers

col said:
I think getting things like this in the open,and getting everyones feedback does help,like i said earlier,getting it off your chest does help,and as you have pointed out,it can answer others questions too,or help to.
One thing did surprise me,when my doctor told me it can be hereditary,as my mother has a history of it too.But if you want to ask anything,something that might be on your mind,like certain ways that we might react or things we do,when we are having this problem,Dont hesitate,and ill give you my experience,pm too if you prefer.
Thanks.

Its the associated alcoholism thats the hardest to accept I think. Daily, she will hit the gin by 3.00pm and be unconscious by 7.00pm. The doctors (and my dad for that matter) dont seem worried about it though.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Smeggers said:
Thanks.

Its the associated alcoholism thats the hardest to accept I think. Daily, she will hit the gin by 3.00pm and be unconscious by 7.00pm. The doctors (and my dad for that matter) dont seem worried about it though.

Its not something i have turned to,drinking,but my mother has a few times,not to the extent where she is on it all the time,but now and again,if we went to see her,she would be ,shall we say,nearly mortaled.It was at these times we would get some home truths,which generally werent,but we understood.And it was more of the case of the drunk saying your my bestest friend bit.But in a different text,like telling us off more like.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have encountered office stress at a time when I had a seriously stressing situation at home (violent drug dealer neighbours). I will happily admit that during those months of living with the problem and undergoing routine office stresses I was being carried by my colleagues as I was almost incapable of concentrating or doing much useful work.

Now that we have moved house I am back to my old self - finding office stress a positive stimulant, which I actually need in order to do my job to my best ability.

I conclude that you can usually cope with stress and even thrive on stress in one part of your life is the rest is okay. But factor in one or more extra sources of stress and most people go to pieces.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I think there is a cultural aspect to this as well. Germans had no problem accepting that in October I needed a 'mental' break, although I was physically well (except perhaps over tired). They are very much into 'coming into rest' or simply unwinding, regularly getting away from it all.

When I mentioned this to an English acquaintence, however, I got the response that I myself would have had a few years ago, namely that I was really skiving with the doctor's connivance. This is of course a possibility. He didn't say this in so many words, but I could tell what was going through his mind! There are times when you simply need to pull yourself together, but others where this is seriously wrong advice, and you need to actually do something to change your circumstances.

Of course, most of us don't like to admit there is a problem in the first place. I only had a chat with the doctor because I was nagged into it!!

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Funnily emough,i wouldnt have gone to the docs,but my wife made the appontment for me,and insisted.

Top Bottom