Stringing and tuning a Ukelele - any Uke bods out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hiya,

Was given an unstrung Kahula Uke with a set of strings today and need some advice stringing it.

I gave strung and tuned guitars before and the bass string - fattest - goes to the left or uppermost, then working thinner strings away from that.
The Uke string set has a fat, thinner and two thin strings but the pics I gave seen have the thins on the outer two, and the fat second from left.

Tried setting it and tuning to GCAE but just doesn't seem right - any advice/ guidance is appreciated.

Tony

stephec

Legendary Member
GCEA seems to be the standard.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I thought it was EADG - in reverse order to the guitar's bottom 4 strings, i.e. fifths apart.

Alternatively, you could always string it up to a tree and use it as a bird box...

Small ukes (soprano, concert and tenor) are tuned GCEA, so the thickest string is second from the top as you look down at the uke, held in it's playing position. Edit - you therefore have highest notes on G and A strings, at opposite ends of the instrument. Which is what gives the uke its unique sound. It's called "re-entrant" tuning.......

Baritone ukes, which are about the size of a small guitar, are tuned just like the top 4 strings of a guitar, so DGBE, and therefore have the thickest string at the top as you look down at the uke, held in it's playing position.

There should be plenty of videos on youtube to show you what to do.....

Best of luck!

Top Bottom