Stripped cleat bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A small diameter drill bit and be careful not to set fire to the shoe

The ones I operated on were SPD - all four bolts were bad - drilled the top off the bolts - cleat fell off - the plate inside I removed from inside the sole -replaced all

Halfmanhalfbike said:
The hex head is completely round and the allen key just slips. Any ideas how to get the b$%£$^$% off?

Thanks

Use a hammer and a centre punch. Make a mark on the outer edge of the screw and punch it in an anti-clockwise direction.

This has never failed to work for me, although it may take a while to initially jar the thread loose.

gbb

Legendary Member
snomaes said:
Use a hammer and a centre punch. Make a mark on the outer edge of the screw and punch it in an anti-clockwise direction.

This has never failed to work for me, although it may take a while to initially jar the thread loose.
Thats exactly what i'd do at work...holding the shoe tight will be the hardest thing...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You can use a torx key as well which is a lot less faff than drilling or centre punching it round.
Just tap it into the worn recess and turn as normal

02GF74

Über Member
centre punch method may be worth a try but if the screw is rusted in, you'll need to drill the screw out.

I replace my screws with stainless steel ones to prevent them rusting to the plate and I have replaced the screws when the head got mashed up but usaully forget or can't be bothered.

gbb

Legendary Member
andrew-the-tortoise said:
+1

Used this on a lot of things, at work and at home. Used to think thats what they were invented for!

Its always worth considering before getting brutal, but everything depends on whether you can get a snug fit in the bolt head...but definately worth a try.

Also sometimes worth trying an imperial allen key, sometimes they will fit into a fubar'd head...i've evn used an angle grinder on an allen key to get exactly the right size for a fubar'd screw head.

Dot punch is a good option, but usually you have to have the piece held well or the shock of the hammer strike just gets lost with movement.

Or drill it out...but you've got to be accurate :evil:

Or use an angle grinder with a cutting blade (or a dremel) and cut a slot for a screwdriver.

Of course, there's always oxy acetylene :whistle::shy:

gbb said:
Or drill it out...but you've got to be accurate :evil:

You do not need to be that accurate the allen socket centres the drill - for SPD the drill size should be slightly larger than the actual bolt so that just the head comes off

gbb

Legendary Member
psmiffy said:
You do not need to be that accurate the allen socket centres the drill - for SPD the drill size should be slightly larger than the actual bolt so that just the head comes off

Yes, good point, i'm forgetting if you take the head off, the cleat plate will be free then and you can remove the threaded part of the screw from the back (hopefully)
(i'm used to removing damaged bolts where you dont have that luxury)

Top Bottom