Stripping down SPD-SL Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok need some help or even a link to a website on stripping these type of pedals down. Got a horrible creaking noise from lower bracket area on my Langster. I thought it was worn chain/rings etc but not convinced they would be this noisy? So closer examination has allowed me to witness some play on the left pedal bearing, which I reckon could be the source? The pedals are Shimano R540 SPD-SL, and I suppose they are cheap enough to buy but if they are easily taken apart surely a wee grease up and bearing adjustment maybe all they need! :thumbsup:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Play in shimano pedals is usually fatal.

It's not the bearings but the outer shell that the axle fits in that usually wears - especially on the left hand pedal.

To undo, I pop my pedals in a vice and then grab the locknut really firmly with a pair of pliers and for the left pedal turn anti-clockwise as in a normal thread. Inside you have a locknut and cone which are dealt with in the usual way.

Personally I'd try the opposite. Very occasionally the locknut can work slightly loose and that allows play to develop - so try tightening up on the locknut by turning clockwise.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
cheers that makes sense actually with regards the play, my own work experience should really of told me that , oh well. Just to confirm that it is the pedals going to chuck on another set and go for a ride and see if the noise abates. Think I got about a year or so out of those? Might have to treat them as disposables as the cleats get replaced yearly anyway and new pedals are not much more??

accountantpete

Brexiteer
cheers that makes sense actually with regards the play, my own work experience should really of told me that , oh well. Just to confirm that it is the pedals going to chuck on another set and go for a ride and see if the noise abates. Think I got about a year or so out of those? Might have to treat them as disposables as the cleats get replaced yearly anyway and new pedals are not much more??

You can get them with cleats for £26 and the cleats are £16 retail so a tenner for pedals per year is not too bad.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As far as I'm aware they share the same internals as other Shimano SPDs. Use the plastic tool to remove the spindle and (as I recall - might be 6 & 8) one each of 7mm and 8mm spanners to adjust the bearings. It's a fiddly job with a bit of trial and error involved.
I drill a small hole in the end of pedal body and use a needle grease gun regularly. The bearings almost never need adjustment.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
ok swapped out pedals for another set and noise still there, have greased chain ring bolts, pedal spindles. Have noticed that the rear wheel sealed bearings are a wee tad rough but it is a hell of noise for that. However the chain ring is looking a bit tatty and maybe the reason for this premature wear has been the use of a worn chain. However all you experts does this look like it needs replaced?

standalone

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Have you checked for play in the BB - grab the cranks and give them a bit of the old heave-ho

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok touch wood I may have got to the bottom of the noise. After much deliberation I decided to take of the cranks and check the BB. Well when I went to unscrew it I found that one side was just hand tight! So removed the whole lot cleaned up BB and threads, a re-grease and put it all back together nice and tight. Result the annoying noise has gone when I put pressure on the cranks. Shall see how it pans out.

Top Bottom