Stronger Climbing with a Brompton 2 Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

If the one last hill is the only thing spoiling her enjoyment why dont you just both get off and walk up when she gets to the point where its too hard?

Eventually fittness will improve. Age doesn't really have a bearing - just level of fitness.

Salar

A fish out of water
I know nothing of Bromptons, not having owned one. But I've had and ride small wheel rigid and folding 16" and 20" wheel bikes, retro and modern.

All of them have been too high geared and I've had to lower the gearing.

Don't try honking up a hill, it's virtually impossible I find and those long stems were probably not designed to be pulled on hard as there is quite a bit of leverage .

No shame in walking up the odd hill.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
As people have said the easiest fix is changing the front chain ring to one with fewer teeth, Brompton do a 44T one. £25 and a simple (and reversible) job and then you will know whether that makes it better for her. I'd stop prevaricating and get that done.

You may not have made an expensive mistake, just a very correctable error on what gearing to choose. How many teeth are on your current chainrings?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could consider an electric conversion, there are a number on the market. It would of course make the bike much heavier but it would take the pain out of the hills.

Top Bottom