Stronglight Competition Headset

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by woodbutcher, 11 Jan 2019.

Tags:
  1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Looking through my box of spares today l found a Stronglight Comp. headset with caged bearings.
    My question is "should it stay or should it go" I dont think it would be appropriate for the bikes l have right now but l suppose you never know if something suitable might appear.
    Its condition is near perfect so it seems a shame not to put it to use but what frame would be right for it ?
    Oh yes and there is a Stronglight Competition bottom bracket to partner it . Am l right in thinking these are 1970's components ?
    All suggestions will be taken in the spirit in which they are offered :okay:

2. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

Headset and bottom bracket in one place at the same time indicates to me that you've achieved critical mass. Add to that a late set of 49D or 99 cranks and you'd be approaching Nirvana - or at least enlightenment. The frame would have to be French and I think you're in the right part of the world for that.

woodbutcher likes this.
  3. midlife

midlife Veteran

woodbutcher likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

5. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Aah but which frame should l look out for because as you say France is full of stuff and the choice is endless !

6. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

OOPS l may have dropped a clanger because l have just put this crankset up for sale :
    s-l1600.jpg

Illaveago likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Now look what you've done , as if l haven't got enough bikes already !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do like the look of it Campagnolo dropouts though , be better with Vitus sport ^_^
    s-l1600.jpg

Illaveago likes this.
  8. A double one ! :whistle:

9. BalkanExpress

BalkanExpress Veteran

Bertin was an interesting company, not a top level artisan organisation but very solid bikes with a bit of a cult following

https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpress.com

woodbutcher likes this.
  10. wonderdog

And by now you will have noticed that the crankset on the resto first up on the Bertin blog features a Stronglight 93 crankset. Just saying.

11. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Yes indeed l have . My lame excuse for taking my eye off the ball is that l am currently deeply immersed in building a Vitus 979 and it is proving a bit of a challenge to my mechanical ability, ( swapping dura glide to hyper glide bodies etc.):wacko:
    Back to Bertin
    Im pretty sure its the V4 but will check again later !

12. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

If you were making a choice between a Bertin frame and for example a Gitane Olympic is it a no brainer or are they of similar quality ?

13. wonderdog

woodbutcher likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

15. midlife

midlife Veteran

Yep, I very good nick for 40 plus years old :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice