Structured Training in 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a bit of a blow out over a long weekend. Had well too much to drink in Belgium particularly on Thursday night and riding the last 50 miles on Saturday whilst topping up the alcohol levels in the evening probably wasn't the best idea :laugh: Felt knackered the last few days and managed to escape for a quick outdoors training session today and felt cr@p. I'm hoping its just that I have had a busy week at work plus a cr@ppy McDonalds lunch courtesy of my boss and not that I've blown it too much ahead of my first tt of the season :wacko:

si_c

Guru
Done nothing structured this week, need to get used to doing the commute again or I'm going to break myself. My intention was to do a 3 sessions during this week as a top up, but it's just not happened as I've been exhausted each evening when I get in.

I will have done 225km this week by the time I get home tonight, so for the moment I think that's plenty as I've not done much this year generally, so I will start to add in the structured sessions again in a week or so when I've adjusted to the daily rides again.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Nothing this week, but not my fault. Mrs ro4DiE decided we would go to Wales for a week to keep the tiddlers happy over the half term. I took the bike, and the turbo, and the phone, with the TR app. No network at all, it was internet detox, so no TR. I did escape for one day and racked up 120km over and around the Brecon Beacons, so that was nice. Garmin was kind enough to die at about 70km in though so there is no proof apart from these pics ;)

20170406_133241.jpg 20170406_133913.jpg 20170406_144154.jpg 20170406_152813.jpg 20170406_190343.jpg 20170406_191019.jpg

EDIT: And there's this on Relive.

Last edited:

r04DiE

OK chaps and chapesses. Here's last night's effort. Still delighted with TR in every way. Still learning a lot from my virtual trainer and amazed how ignorant I am to technique after all these years of cycling!

TR6.PNG

r04DiE

OK, training peeps - I have a session planned tonight on TR. I am supposed to be doing Tue, Thu and Sat every week. Do you think its okay for me to move tonight to tomorrow and Sat to Sun or do I have to do my sessions when TR tells me to? Might sound a bit silly, but just to be sure!

BikeCurious

Über Member
OK, training peeps - I have a session planned tonight on TR. I am supposed to be doing Tue, Thu and Sat every week. Do you think its okay for me to move tonight to tomorrow and Sat to Sun or do I have to do my sessions when TR tells me to? Might sound a bit silly, but just to be sure!
You can do them on any day, the Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday is just I guideline. I actually do mine Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

r04DiE

Goody, I thought that was the way things were but I do like to stick to the rules for some reason!! Thanks, I'll go out drinking tonight and do the work tomorrow.

r04DiE

Hello all,

So, I completed my next two sessions, one on Friday and one last night. I've noticed for a while now that I tend to slip forward on the saddle - its level, so I thought I'd move it forwards just a few mm. I don't usually mess about with the setup but I've recorded the previous setting so I can always go back. I really seemed to help on the next session (Carson), I was definitely more comfortable and didn't need to stop at all due to numbness (which usually happens when I slip forwards and don't notice for a while). You'll see that I did stop toward the end, but this was due to something else that I may as well share:

I asked my daughter if she'd fill my water bottle up for me and she went off with it and came back and handed it to me. "Is that okay" she said, I said "Yes, babe, that's perfect, thanks." She went off happily. I raise it to my lips and gave it a good squeeze, where, due to my daughter's cross threading of the lid, I was covered in water. Shortly after that, all data went off on the trainer, there was no power, HR, cadence. I soon realised that the Ant+ dongle was sitting on the floor in a shallow puddle of water. So, I dried it off and thatkfully everything recovered :smile:

So, Carson went well, I'm not too keen (or good at) the ILT sections but I suppose I'll improve. I think my form is definitely improving, specifically the pedalling mechanics and this is due to the excellent advice from TR. Funny, but I've always looked at the way professional riders ride and I have always tried to mimic them a bit in the way they hold themselves on the bike. I've always resisted rolling my shoulders and I have always tried to look like I'm not working, even when I am. This is coming in really handy now as TR is recommending this as a way to keep sit bones planted on the saddle and to keep good form.

Eclipse came next and my arse knew it. I got very numb around 55 mins so I had to pause and get some blood circulating down there. This happened again at 1hr 15mins. A bit annoying after I was so comfy following my saddle adjustment, but I will see. It was a 90min session, compared to Carson's 60min session. I don't know if pausing adversely affects the data, but it had to be done!

Eclipse was hard work since there were 20 min sessions closeish (90%ish) to my FTP. The first tries out a quick cadence, the second a slower cadence (that I didn't like), and the 3rd, I think, (my daughter came in and distracetde me a bit), was left up to me, so I took it quick. Pictures below:

TR7.PNG

TR8.PNG

zigzag

Veteran
now on a build phase, still struggling with the vo2max and over-under intervals, only manage to complete first couple of intervals then reduce the intensity. longer intervals under ftp line no problem. the (ambitious) plan is to raise ftp to 4.5w/kg in the next six weeks.

huwsparky

Über Member
from 4.1w/kg currently. it seems like a slow and very painful journey..
That's a hell of an ask in one year at that fitness level. If it was 3.1 to 3.5 that would be a piece of cake. I'm around the same as you but have started tri training so there's not much hope in kicking on in cycling terms for me this year at least. I'd settle for maintaining what i have to be honest.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
now on a build phase, still struggling with the vo2max and over-under intervals, only manage to complete first couple of intervals then reduce the intensity. longer intervals under ftp line no problem. the (ambitious) plan is to raise ftp to 4.5w/kg in the next six weeks.

Wow, came here to post the same complaint!

I took the turbo with me on holidays and had my first VO2 max session blew me apart from the get go. After three one minute vo2 max intervals I was supposed to do 12x 3m VO2 max.

Not a hope in hell.

Failing on the first interval after a minute, bailed on the session after eight failed intervals :sad:

A few days rest through travelling and back on for a much easier 5x 3min VO2 max session.

1. Good
2. Good
3. Good...maybe I could go harder?
4. Uhoh I feel sick. My head is going.
5. Not good (luckily have to get off half way through to attend an appointment.)

I felt ill for about thirty minutes afterwards.

Top Bottom