Structured Training in 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, I think I'll start with the Sweet Spot Base. No need for me to go crazy and I would like to keep to my usual Mon, Wed, Fri commute - the Sweet Spot Base runs on Tue, Thu and Sat - so that's all good. Worst ways I will drop a commute if I feel too tired.

Whaddayathink?

Sounds good. thats what i'm doing.

Training plans have their place, no doubt about that. With an FTP below 200w there's no need to over think it IMO. Just go out and ride hard, the improvements will come. No doubt I'm gonna get shot down for saying this but hey-ho.

If he only weighs 60 kg that's over 3w/kg. thats not to shabby.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Sounds good. thats what i'm doing.
Excellent. Let me know how you're getting along.
If he only weighs 60 kg that's over 3w/kg. thats not to shabby.
Ah, sadly not 60kg... :sad:

r04DiE

Question:

My first training activity is tomorrow - it listing it as an 8 min test, is this just an FTP test and can I skip it since I already did the 20 min test on Saturday?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Many thanks, I ended up skipping it as I have a sore knee and a long ride coming on Sunday. I'll start it next week and It'll be good to confirm the FTP.
What is IF, please?
Intensity factor, each trainerroad session shows the IF value and estimated TSS (training stress score).

I've taken a random example, you'd want to look further for something less complex imo. But for the purposes of argument these two workouts have the same over all intensity and stress (true that they achieve different things) so swapping this in instead of repeating an FTP test will give you variety and still have you in a state that the training plan expects you to be in.
IMG_7894.PNG
IMG_7895.PNG

...But I'd just do the 8 min test.

r04DiE

Well I have started my training this week, and, just for info, here it is.

Tonight's effort was for an 8min FTP, which I found much easier than the 20min one from last week. My FTP has also risen from 186 last time, to 220 tonight. I do think my HRM was playing up as it was registering very low through the second 4min FTP but I would think that this doesn't affect the FTP result.

Again, TR was very helpful with its comments throughout the workout, keeping me focused on the job at hand and providing me with all the information and motivation I needed. Its good.

ftp_8_min.PNG

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay guys and gals, how are we doing so far?

I'm in the last week of Base training Triathlon Full Distance and I'm finishing with an FTP test today!

These last 16 weeks have gone pretty quickly, I've missed 12 of the 48 rides (8 whilst skiing, 4 through poor motivation). Otherwise, I'll have done 36 rides (only 8 outside). If it weren't for the two weeks off I'd be very happy with my commitment.

@CXRAndy
@Joffey
@Asa Post
@MasterDabber
@HLaB
@Chappy
@WelshJon
@Shut Up Legs
@uclown2002
@steve292
@kipster
@simon walsh
@postman
@mythste
@r04DiE
@si_c

Let's see some updates from you guys!

WelshJon

Recently dropped off cycling specific structured straining in favor of trying to lose a few KG. Been doing fasted low intensity gym work in the mornings before work and the odd spin bike HIIT/ tabata sessions. Nothing to monitor power/FTP so cant report progress but doing this and following a vegetarian high carb diet ive come down a few Kg's which is the current goal.

Still going well on the club runs 50+miles and plenty of climbing every Sunday and not particularly fatigued. Clocks go forward this Sunday so hope to throw in a few midweek evening rides and club chaingang sessions should be higher in numbers.

Chappy

Guru
Okay guys and gals, how are we doing so far?

I'm in the last week of Base training Triathlon Full Distance and I'm finishing with an FTP test today!

These last 16 weeks have gone pretty quickly, I've missed 12 of the 48 rides (8 whilst skiing, 4 through poor motivation). Otherwise, I'll have done 36 rides (only 8 outside). If it weren't for the two weeks off I'd be very happy with my commitment.

@CXRAndy
@Joffey
@Asa Post
@MasterDabber
@HLaB
@Chappy
@WelshJon
@Shut Up Legs
@uclown2002
@steve292
@kipster
@simon walsh
@postman
@mythste
@r04DiE
@si_c

Let's see some updates from you guys!

Well i have just finished my 8 week build phase low volume and have started the specialty climbing road race. The build package was a lot of sweet spot and threshold work only missed a couple due to long work days and lack of motivation.

I was lucky ( or more unlucky really ) that due to being away with work I had no chance of outside riding so it has all been completed on a Watt bike but that is due to change in the next couple of weeks as I will be commuting again 3 times a week and with weekend rides available again I think I am going to struggle getting on the trainer.

mythste

Veteran
Less structure, more racing from me! As much as a smart turbo is great for training, the lure to drop into a race has been too much for me...

I have, however seen an incraese in FTP of about 10% since january though so I suppose there is some improvement!

si_c

Guru
Less structure, more racing from me! As much as a smart turbo is great for training, the lure to drop into a race has been too much for me...

I have, however seen an incraese in FTP of about 10% since january though so I suppose there is some improvement!
I suppose that is the inevitable result when you start training properly, you have to end up racing.

si_c

Guru
I've done my first two sessions this week based on an initial FTP of 252.

One interval set followed by a sweet spot set yesterday. The last one felt quite easy. My plan is for two one hour sessions during the week and one longer session at the weekend. The longer one alternating between a set incorporating intervals and then a longer sweet spot run and the other week a 3x 20min FTP set.

Once I'm back to commuting (200km per week) i think that should be enough for me, I don't want to over do it.

If I'm doing a longer ride at the weekend I'll defer that session to the next week.

Ultimately my aim is to increase my climbing and endurance capacity.

Top Bottom