Structured Training in 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Having been persuaded to put some structure into my rides, I’ve now completed two weeks of my plan - Nicole Cooke's Improving Endurance and Speed.

I've adapted her HR zones to five power zones, expressed as ranges of FTP: 56-75%, 76-90%, 91-105%, 106-120%, >120+%

The intervals have been OK – 3 x 10 minutes zone 3 with 10 minutes recovery, and 5 x 3 minutes zone 4 with 2 minutes recovery (progressing to 10 x 2 minutes zone 4 with 1 minute recovery).

The really hard bit has been the 3½ hour zone 2 rides. I’m not used to going much over 2 hours these days, and my ar$e isn’t happy. Recovery has been surprisingly good, though – no stiffness next day.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
In hindsight (and in foresight if I'm honest), doing the 3x(5x1min) VO2 Intervals with this chesty cough was not my brightest idea of the day.

Last week was recovery week and I had to miss my first bike session due to this illness but I'm much brighter today and I'm determined to continue the plan, even if it's at a reduced intensity.

The next two weeks are looking sketchy as I'm abroad without an obvious means of bike training. I've ordered some power pedals so I can use any exercise bike I find, if I can swap the pedals surreptitiously ;)

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Today's ride cut the recovery time for the zone 3 efforts from ten minutes down to five.

I wish it hadn't
exhausted.gif

mythste

Veteran
How do you guys find commuting and structured training routines?

I'm really wanting to upgrade myself (lord knows I've spent enough money upgrading my gear...) and whilst I've put in almost 600 miles this year I really want something a bit more structured and measurable. However, I commute 80-100 miles a week and It just means I don't have the energy to push a few hours workout 3 nights a week as well. Do any of you manage anything similar? Is it just a case of manning up and getting used to it?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
How do you guys find commuting and structured training routines?

I'm really wanting to upgrade myself (lord knows I've spent enough money upgrading my gear...) and whilst I've put in almost 600 miles this year I really want something a bit more structured and measurable. However, I commute 80-100 miles a week and It just means I don't have the energy to push a few hours workout 3 nights a week as well. Do any of you manage anything similar? Is it just a case of manning up and getting used to it?

Well I have specifically stopped unstructured training such as commuting, to do this. I was commuting 200-300km per week this time last year, and like you I was shattered - I think it did my aerobic fitness the world of good, but it didn't push it as far, or as effectively, as structured training will (I hope).

In short I'm doing 5-7hrs constant work on the turbo, instead of 8-12hrs intermittent work at random efforts depending on traffic and weather.

The advice I've heard is to essentially ignore commute time in terms of training, and continue only if it doesn't interfere with quality sessions.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hmm, interesting stuff re Trainer Road.
... I have specifically stopped unstructured training such as commuting...
All I do is commute, that's all I have time for with family and work commitments, but I really would like a bit of structure - ideally, I'd just like to be a bit faster. I commute 200km a week, most weeks and rarely do I get passed. I'm happy about this, I'm not twenty anymore (not thirty, either), so its good that I'm keeping up or beating the young uns.

Still, I'd like a bit of structure, I do ocassionally get passed and I would really like to up my average speed a bit. I bought a BKool trainer last year and I haven't been on it much. This is partly because I'm too tired, home from work too late, or don't get the time due to family commitments. I think that maybe a structured plan will make me stick to doing it and I think I might cancel my BKool subscription and hop onto Trainer Road. I can always use BigRingVR if I fancy a bit of video stuff.

r04DiE

OK, so I have signed up. Can anybody tell me if need the trainer and the speed sensor to use TR? I'm guessing that the turbo on its own is fine and that the speed thingy might just confuse things?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
OK, so I have signed up. Can anybody tell me if need the trainer and the speed sensor to use TR? I'm guessing that the turbo on its own is fine and that the speed thingy might just confuse things?

You need either a speed/cadence sensor or a power meter to use trainerroad.

If the turbo does power your in as well.

If you go the speed/cadence route, (virtual power), check they support your turbo first.

screenman

Legendary Member
In hindsight (and in foresight if I'm honest), doing the 3x(5x1min) VO2 Intervals with this chesty cough was not my brightest idea of the day.

Last week was recovery week and I had to miss my first bike session due to this illness but I'm much brighter today and I'm determined to continue the plan, even if it's at a reduced intensity.

The next two weeks are looking sketchy as I'm abroad without an obvious means of bike training. I've ordered some power pedals so I can use any exercise bike I find, if I can swap the pedals surreptitiously ;)

Training with an illness is counter productive, you need rest to get over it.

r04DiE

You need either a speed/cadence sensor or a power meter to use trainerroad.

If the turbo does power your in as well.

If you go the speed/cadence route, (virtual power), check they support your turbo first.
Thanks, @Tin Pot - I just left the speed thing on the front wheel (so it wasn't spinning), unpaired it and hooked the BKOOL Pro up and all seemed to work fine. Here's my FTP - I was hoping for a bit higher but I ended up with 186. Not too shabby for somebody that has never really done any structured training before.

The 20 min test is hard though, eh? Blimey, I'm aching in places that I've never ached before, but at least that means I put in a good effort. Love the info TR gives along the way, it does help to keep you focused and help you understand exactly how you're supposed to be working. 10/10 so far for TR - let's see what training plans there are on offer for me, and if I get a bit faster. Quite excited, I have to say :smile:

ftp.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks, @Tin Pot - I just left the speed thing on the front wheel (so it wasn't spinning), unpaired it and hooked the BKOOL Pro up and all seemed to work fine. Here's my FTP - I was hoping for a bit higher but I ended up with 186. Not too shabby for somebody that has never really done any structured training before.

The 20 min test is hard though, eh? Blimey, I'm aching in places that I've never ached before, but at least that means I put in a good effort. Love the info TR gives along the way, it does help to keep you focused and help you understand exactly how you're supposed to be working. 10/10 so far for TR - let's see what training plans there are on offer for me, and if I get a bit faster. Quite excited, I have to say :smile:

View attachment 341989

Brilliant, well done!

i thought I'd need videos to keep me from getting bored but a bit of music is all I need even for the long sessions.

Brilliant, well done!

i thought I'd need videos to keep me from getting bored but a bit of music is all I need even for the long sessions.

And me, I like the geeky aspect of it. And the fact that the training plans explain well what their main aims are.

The 20 min test is hard though, eh? Blimey, I'm aching in places that I've never ached before, but at least that means I put in a good effort. Love the info TR gives along the way, it does help to keep you focused and help you understand exactly how you're supposed to be working. 10/10 so far for TR - let's see what training plans there are on offer for me, and if I get a bit faster. Quite excited, I have to say

Nice one. Have you looked in the plans section of the site yet?

si_c

Guru
I'm thinking that trainerroad might be an option for me too, just setup the tacx trainer and had a short play around on zwift, absolutely shagged. I can't help but chase people, was following one person up a massive hill on my 26"er, wearing jeans t shirt and a jumper, sweating like a pig and i realised what i was doing. Had to stop before i do myself an injury.

Only wanted to test the ant+ dongle. :laugh::laugh::bicycle:xx(

Last edited:

r04DiE

Nice one. Have you looked in the plans section of the site yet?
Yes, I think I'll start with the Sweet Spot Base. No need for me to go crazy and I would like to keep to my usual Mon, Wed, Fri commute - the Sweet Spot Base runs on Tue, Thu and Sat - so that's all good. Worst ways I will drop a commute if I feel too tired.

Whaddayathink?

huwsparky

Über Member
Training plans have their place, no doubt about that. With an FTP below 200w there's no need to over think it IMO. Just go out and ride hard, the improvements will come. No doubt I'm gonna get shot down for saying this but hey-ho.

Top Bottom