Structured Training in 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have a 2 week Alpine tour planned for June (Italian and French Alps, then Mont Ventoux, then Pyrenees). My training for that is fairly simple: lots of distance and climbing! Probably not a lot of structure, though. I'll just slowly ramp it up over the next few months, then slack off for the last week or so before flying over there.
cycling-smiley-uphill.gif

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I have a 2 week Alpine tour planned for June (Italian and French Alps, then Mont Ventoux, then Pyrenees). My training for that is fairly simple: lots of distance and climbing! Probably not a lot of structure, though. I'll just slowly ramp it up over the next few months, then slack off for the last week or so before flying over there.
View attachment 158066

I'd seriously consider structured training - far more likely to work and give you feedback on progress to build confidence.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Tried the new GCN video, basically 5 mins high spin at 110rpm, 5 mins grind at 60rpm. 4 times. All in an around threshold pace. Pretty tough

Just did the FTP test again, 1hr: warm up Intervals then 20min flat out and warm down.

Ouch. Only saw spots and felt vomity once though, so maybe I could've gone harder.

173W -> 191W

Was hoping for 200 :sad:

View attachment 158066

I've done a lot of that in the past :okay:

I'd seriously consider structured training - far more likely to work and give you feedback on progress to build confidence.

But as above I followed a structured training plan and for a lot less time I got the same results on the 312 or maybe even better given my health at the time. I've also had better results in other events :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Just did the FTP test again, 1hr: warm up Intervals then 20min flat out and warm down.

Ouch. Only saw spots and felt vomity once though, so maybe I could've gone harder.

173W -> 191W

I have never done a deliberate FTP test, is it usual to warm up for an hour and do intervals first.

173W -> 191W

Thats a bit long of a warm up. Trainer Road has quite a good one which is just 30mins warm up (see below) and my best result came after a 20 mins warm up. PS I'm due to do another in a few days.
TR test.JPG

I messed up the pacing on the test above and had too much left in the tank at the end but the structure is good and with a shorter more targetted warm up I'm sure you'll crack 200w :okay:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I have never done a deliberate FTP test, is it usual to warm up for an hour and do intervals first.
Just my wording it's, a normal test:

IMG_7608.jpg

About 230 for 5min burning out the anaerobics, then averaged 203 for the 20min test.

The blue is actually target for my new FTP, not the target during the test which was much lower which is a green line.

kipster

Guru
I've also just started Sweet spot base low volume on trainer road. I wanted something structured rather than just spinning legs on zwift or half killing myself in bkool races. I have just replaced an old broken bkool with a wahoo Kickr snap and the ftp test on Sunday came in at 251w (or 3.44 w/kg). Second ride on trainerroad tonight, I might have to get iplayer or something in the background as I'm used to watching stuff happen on the screen, watching the chart and the pop up messages might get a little boring.

I'm not training for anything specific but it'll be good to have some base training for the Majorca club trip and try and get my speed up so I can ride with the advanced group.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
I have just found GCN on the laptop.I am doing a 30 min training plan three times a week.First two i have stopped after 20 mins.Mind you i am 66 and have been off the bike roughly six months it could be more.Also do light hand held weights also found off the laptop.I'll come back in three months and let you know how i am.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm the first recovery week and have picked up a cold/cough sadly.

Quite tough today getting through a relatively easy session, but still finished ok.

IMG_7634.jpg

Top Bottom