Struggle on Hills on Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

warder

Regular
The physical demands of football v cycling are totally different. I already gave some examples earlier of 'older' cyclists who are still able to ride at national/international levels - and in many cases they are capable still of exceeding the performance of younger riders, mainly because they continue to train hard and train appropriately. Comparing aging in cycling to other entirely different sports is a non-sequitur.
Average age of team sky 28.3

warder

Regular
The highest average age of a world tour team is BMC at 29.4 for 2017.

S-Express

Why is this do you think?

It's because generally speaking, your 20s & 30s are your peak physical years for athletic performance, but of course we already know this.

But why are you comparing pro riders to cyclechat amateurs? It's about as useful as comparing cyclists to footballers. Like I said earlier, if you look on the VTTA records page, you will see 60 and 65 years olds who have gone under 20mins for a 10. You will also see an 84 year old, who went under 25mins and a 91 year old who went under 30mins for the same distance. Just wondering how old are you and what's your best 10m TT time?

http://www.vtta.org.uk/information/recordsdetail.php

S-Express

That warder is fitter! (But slower ...) :whistle:

obviously :scratch:

warder

Regular
So, at last we agree. You can be in your peak physical and athletic condition in your 20's and 30's. You can also be in incredible physical and athletic condition in your 50's and 60's and beyond. But a 50 or 60 year old in peak physical condition won't be able to compete with a 20 or 30 year old in peak physical condition. There I knew I was right. Also I was just wondering how old you are and what star sign are you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So, at last we agree. You can be in your peak physical and athletic condition in your 20's and 30's. You can also be in incredible physical and athletic condition in your 50's and 60's and beyond. But a 50 or 60 year old in peak physical condition won't be able to compete with a 20 or 30 year old in peak physical condition. There I knew I was right. Also I was just wondering how old you are and what star sign are you.
Not quite ... How about a genetically gifted 60 year old in peak condition vs a genetically unlucky 20 year old in their peak condition! (Hint: The 60 year old would probably win a race between them.)

Top Bottom