struggling at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turbopercy

Seem to be really struggling at the moment
Cant seem to grind out the big gears like i used to be able too is there anyway i can improve in this area
Cant seem to get any higher then the 4 th ring on the rear cassette and there are only 8 rings
This is all on the flat by the way
Road bike and i possess the aerodynamic coefficient of a brick

byegad

Legendary Member
So you've checked that you haven't a dragging brake, or worse.

When did this start, and were you riding faster before? Could be you're coming down with something.

OP
OP
T

turbopercy

Yeah checked my brakes they are fine still not done 20 rides yet but done at least 7 rides 40 mile plus only get out once a week at the moment just wondering if i need to get more miles in my legs and more frequently

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You need to do at least 3 or 4 rides a week to improve.

Tyre pressures have a big impact on performance so another thing to check.

Defo agree with vickster that grinding in big gears isnt the best way for everyone.watch the pros most of them ae spinning the pedals way faster than us mear mortals.

OP
OP
T

turbopercy

Knees are dead already with my job lol
I am gonna have to try and up the frequency i get out even if i have to just do a quick 15 miles

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
When I returned to cycling two years ago,I used to grind up hills and kill myself into headwinds thinking that because I had strong legs this was the way to go

I was advised to try a lower gear and up my cadence. Felt like hard work to begin with and for a few weeks I was blowing out of my back side! :wub:

But it really does work and makes cycling into a headwind that little bit easier!

But you really do need to practice the high cadence bit. To begin with - especially into the wind - it's all too easy to drop down through the gears and still plod away at the same cadence. You end up going nowhere and becoming even more demoralised! :shy:

Of course, and here I'm contradicting myself, the real secret is to spin a high cadence in a high gear, but that's easier said than done!

OP
OP
T

turbopercy

Love spinning but as you say gets a bit soul destroying when you feel like your getting nowhere think i am expecting too much too quickly

Top Bottom