struggling to fit sks mudguards to cube cyclocross pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

so solid crew

Hi All,
I have a 2019 cube cross race pro. I'm trying to fit a set of sks mudguards. there are 2 tapped holes in the rear stays of the frame to secure the mudguard but appear to be a random size ie not M4 or M5 threads. stupid question, is it possible to get an M4.5 threaded bolt to fit these. I've looked on screwfix & various sites & there aren't many options to buy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Take it to your local bike shop, they usually have bike appropriate bolts of all shapes and sizes. They’ll fit them too for not too much cash

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have a 2019 cube cross race pro. I'm trying to fit a set of sks mudguards. there are 2 tapped holes in the rear stays of the frame to secure the mudguard but appear to be a random size ie not M4 or M5 threads. stupid question, is it possible to get an M4.5 threaded bolt to fit these. I've looked on screwfix & various sites & there aren't many options to buy.
I've not found any odd threads. Can you perhaps try screwing nuts in from the other side ? Maybe there's paint blocking the thread ?

People mention difficulties removing the thru axles when mudguards are fitted.
The mudguard eyelet goes into the tube on one side only and a long bolt can bottom out before it is tight.
I would start with a nylon bolt. I use these as thread protectors and they seem pretty tough but the thread can deform to fit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cheapest option, pop to bike shop with bikes, have you got any bolts for the mudguard/rack eyelets, and pay for them, fitting yourself.

You could see if you've any other bolts (on the bike) that fit as a test. From memory, the thread pitch on mudguard eyelets is quite 'fine'.

OP
OP
S

so solid crew

Cheapest option, pop to bike shop with bikes, have you got any bolts for the mudguard/rack eyelets, and pay for them, fitting yourself.

You could see if you've any other bolts (on the bike) that fit as a test. From memory, the thread pitch on mudguard eyelets is quite 'fine'.
that's a genius idea 💡. Thank you 👍

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hi All,
Got a cube cross race pro here but 2016 . I’m sure I used some stainless M4 or 5 Allen screws to fit my SKS mud guards ? Might need tap run through to clean the threads. Or you could gently try a screw but use some lube ! Otherwise bike shop !

Top Bottom