Struggling to get on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rock bus

Über Member
Anyone else really struggling for motivation at the moment? I know this time of year is always tough but feels even worse at moment.
I can normally get myself to do one night on trainer and then weekend ride but last few weeks I’ve done literally nothing 😢
I’m working from home due to COVID so should have more time but weirdly I’m finding it even harder.
Anyone in same boat?
Or even better anyone with any tips.

Ripple

Veteran
Me.
Just cannot kick myself to my a$$ and go out. I also terribly miss forum rides.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not struggling for motivation at all, but I am still 'working from work' as normal and cycle commuting around 75% of the time so my routine has been much less affected than for some. I imagine it might be difficult to keep 'it' going when working from home and with the darker nights and worsening weather.

Have you tried night riding? It is strangely exhilarating and a change from the norm.

I went 5 times a week during the summer and now it's a miracle if I go once a week :/ Also the fact I sleep during the day most of the time, and when I wake up the daylight is gone.

Anyone else really struggling for motivation at the moment? I know this time of year is always tough but feels even worse at moment.
I can normally get myself to do one night on trainer and then weekend ride but last few weeks I’ve done literally nothing 😢
I’m working from home due to COVID so should have more time but weirdly I’m finding it even harder.
Anyone in same boat?

I'm the same at the moment, the change in weather and shorter days really aren't helping and although I have an amazing kickr turbo trainer setup i struggle even more to use it, since lockdown 1 i've ridden inside or outside and sometimes both everyday with varying times and distances but right now I cant be bothered, i think a break is long overdue. So dont beat yourself up over it, riding bikes should be enjoyable not a chore.

There are different kinds of cycling.....

Instead of a hard and fast ride, cycle somewhere you want to visit. Take it easy, smell the roses. Take photos. Come up with a theme - bridges, churches, etc. See the things you usually miss if you're flying by. Watch the winter go slowly by and look for signs of spring!

Try a "virtual tour" Imagine some place you've always wanted to cycle to. Go for a ride every day and then look to see how close you are to your destination. If it's somewhere foreign, treat yourself to some local cuisine!

If you're just not comfortable on the bike consider your clothing, or roads that you're travelling.

Good lights and a predawn ride on quiet roads can be a great way to start the day, something I would have dreaded before I started to commute regularly.

Good luck!

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve had 3 months off after an accident, have managed about 50 miles this month after finally getting back on the bike but a combination of nervousness on damp mulchy roads, the cold (it was in the mid to high 20s last time I rode), the dark (it was bright and sunny when I came off) and ongoing pain from injuries it’s hard....
I was using the gym
and pool but that’s closed for now too.
I try to do 30-45 minutes gentle spinning on the turbo most days but God it’s dull!
The weather looks better this week but I’m too busy with work to get out in daylight :rolleyes:

Get a new bit of kit ?
Plan a route to somewhere you've not been before ? I've been riding round here for over 30 years and still finding new views and attractions.

I do miss the café stops though.

Did my first leisure ride in weeks today. Lovely dry, sunny mild conditions. I took it easy and not too far on a very pretty route. Came back feeling very happy and tired. I forgot to carry my phone which was a bit old school.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
peaks and troughs , just go with the flow till you feel like it .
I havent had a club ride on a sunday due to lockdown, weather and mrs ck having to work sundays recently and i really miss it but i know that i will get back to it and the motivation to do he miles, i have been miserable because i used to base my whole weekend on it and now its gone and i am vegging out instead but
1605556550325.png

Twilkes

Guru
I bought some bigger tyres for my commuter bike and have taken it off road a few times - definitely a different experience and a half hour lunchtime ride feels like plenty, and I've got a bit bored of most of the roads within short distance of my house this year. There are some hill trails about 25 minutes away and some lumpy waste ground 10 minutes away which is a good training zone for a beginner. So that's helping while it's dark and cold and I don't fancy doing a 3 hour road ride.

Can't say I'm falling in love with it though - if a long road ride is like reading a novel, with all the ups and downs and highs and lows that entails, mountain biking is like trying to read a short story while someone constantly tries to knock the book out of your hands. :smile:

Anyone in same boat?
This is not unusual. I have met many people in gyms who said they had built a gym at home but never used it and had to rejoin the gym.
It is supposed to be something to do with "i will do it later"!

Top Bottom