Struggling to get on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Same here @vickster went out in the end and grimaced at the wind but enjoyed a 9 mile ride at an avg of 16mph. Can’t decide if I need to nudge the seatpost up a little or not, when on the saddle I am on my tip toes when balancing so it’s it is in the right place but feels a tad too low.
3mph faster than me...I blame the traffic :whistle:

My saddle is probably a bit low on this bike too, but stretching to the ground hurts knee and ankle and I'd rather be stable (I never mastered the sliding on and off the saddle thing :blush: and it overbends a knee that doesn't bend anyhow! :wacko:)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Same here @vickster went out in the end and grimaced at the wind but enjoyed a 9 mile ride at an avg of 16mph. Can’t decide if I need to nudge the seatpost up a little or not, when on the saddle I am on my tip toes when balancing so it’s it is in the right place but feels a tad too low.

Good when you go out on a nice short and slow paced ride like that, isn’t it?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
16 - 18 is decent, my average this morning was 13.6 mph, I'm getting out as much as usual but getting out the door is hard work, once I'm out I'm fine.
10.5mph for me today. Are none of you riding through coffee stands and fishmongers, or filling three panniers, a saddlebag and a basket with groceries at the halfway? ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

10.5mph for me today. Are none of you riding through coffee stands and fishmongers, or filling three panniers, a saddlebag and a basket with groceries at the halfway? ;)

Not any more, retired now, have been for 5 years, only leisure rides for me now.

D

Deleted member 1258

Did you stop eating and drinking on retirement? ;)

ETA: oh, I know, retired people get priority with shop deliveries and can wait at home for them... ;)

I've now got bikes and a car, I was car free for 30 years before getting one to go with my bikes, most shopping is done in the car now.

Think I did at least 20km today, headwind was really bad. Or maybe it was 15km? Smashed my knee cap with my bike and the cycle back home was painful. I want to go back on the bike tomorrow but I don't know about the knee cap when will the pain go away and I don't want to make the situation worse with the knee cap. How long should I rest it for?

MntnMan62

Über Member
I was riding regularly during the summer. Pretty easy. Short sleeve shirt and bike shorts and two bottles of water. Not much to it. But lately I don't look forward to that initial shock from the chill in the air as you get going. Things get better once you warm up but my mind focuses on that initial chill which kills my motivation. I think I've ridden once in the past two weeks. It's bad. I should be riding because I actually love this time of year. But it's also very easy to just stay inside, sit on the couch with some snacks and binge watch the latest series.

Or just forget the bike and head up the fells....bloody windy and wet up troutbeck today, couldn’t see Kirkstone Pass at all

Attachments

• 8E270024-10DE-4785-A422-3A571C343E06.jpeg
    8E270024-10DE-4785-A422-3A571C343E06.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 4

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Usual commute for me, had to change my route as the light for unit lanes still cutting out ( i found out its the light and swapped it when i got home as i originally thought it was the battery ) . Coming home i had to ride the cycle path into town that runs along side the dual carriageway against the headwind and flow of traffic so struggled to make 15 avg .

MntnMan62

Über Member
For some reason, now that there is a chill in the air, trail running is sounding more inviting to me than getting on a bike and dealing with wind chill. And I can run in the winter too. That's it. I'm setting 55 degrees as my limit for biking. Anything colder than that or involving precipitation and I'll run in the woods. Call it cross training.

@MntnMan62 running is not a bad activity to cross train with. It builds aerobic capacity and bone density with it been an impact sport so helps prevent arthritis which is common with cyclists as biking is little or no impact unless of course your a nutter MTBer who throws him/herself off ledges.

vickster

Legendary Member
@MntnMan62 running is not a bad activity to cross train with. It builds aerobic capacity and bone density with it been an impact sport so helps prevent arthritis which is common with cyclists as biking is little or no impact unless of course your a nutter MTBer who throws him/herself off ledges.
Most cyclists do walk however in daily life which is weight bearing without the impact load of running :okay:
If you’re going to run make sure you wear the correct footwear for your biomechanics to prevent injury

Top Bottom