Struggling with what to wear!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Being between seasons and with slightly erratic weather, I am struggling with what to wear for my 4 mile morning and evening commute! If it is less than 10 deg (especially if windy), I wear an LS T-shirt and my Altura night vision evo jacket (I have another jacket too which is a similar weight, but less breathable so get hotter). Warm enough, but not too warm.

However, if over 10 deg, I get too warm. If >15 deg, I stick with the LS T and I have a very light Race Face shell Jacket which adds a bit more warmth if needed and is also easy to carry in rucksack. I am struggling to find something for those days where it is too warm for the jacket, but too cool for the other option! I usually start off feeling cold and then get hot after a couple of miles!

I ordered one of these but have sent it back as I didn't like it much :evil: http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Products/128/ccuk-aerate-long-sleeve-cycle-jersey-blue.aspx

Is there some sort of mid level LS jacket/jersey I can consider? I don't have the physique for lycra! Am a woman, but larger so would likely need men's garb! I would like a full not half zip :smile:

Kind of struggling here! Thanks for any suggestions! I don't want to spend oodles, but open if the right thing!

Getting the right combination of layers is the key!

This company has a great selection of clothing suitable for all seasons; have a look and see what you think is suitable/affordable.

Delivery is very quick! :evil:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products/

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your quick reply.

I would rather kit available in the UK so can try some stuff on to save myself the aggro of sending back if not right/wrong size etc! That seller is in NZ, so double the aggro for returns (and more expense)!

e-rider

crappy member
In-between seasons is always a tricky one, as the temp can change in just a few hours.
A night vision jacket must be too warm in April/May, surely?

Try several thin layers rather than a jacket on top.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers, layering may be the way to go (just means even more changing when I get to the office :evil: )

I am ok with the jacket, do get a bit sweaty towards the end but find it keeps me warm enough more or less unzipped. It is the Evo one which is lighter and more breathable

Legs are also a bit problematic right now - wear cycling shorts under roll up cargos, down when cold, up when warmer! Will go to cropped/3/4 when warmer

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I find the most flexible piece of cycle clothing I own is a Gilet. I have a very aged Parrot Zat-Lite (Now almost defunct, XL in Orange for £15 is a deal!
There are many others to choose from.

http://www.daleswear.co.uk/index.cf...2B-9283-F894-4FFC3646DE50D2D3&q=Parrot&page=1

I find it keeps my core warm enough but doesn't cook me. being very light it easily stuffs into a pocket. Another recent fab buy is arm-warmers, again very flexible at this time of year.

Norm

vickster said:
I usually start off feeling cold and then get hot after a couple of miles!
That's the important bit for me. If you start off feeling cold then get hot, you will struggle to find anything which works for both.

I've a thin fleece which got plenty of use under the Night Vision during the winter but, because fleece isn't very windproof, I find it works well now over a t shirt in the mornings.

However, more usually, I just go out in a t shirt knowing that I'll warm up soon enough.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
A gilet might work, but my arms do get chilly too - is there a lightish cycling jacket with zip off arms maybe?

Cycling Active are giving a gilet away free this month with a subscription...might be an idea

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/gilets-and-vests/product/reflex-25503

Or perhaps something like this - too warm? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/airstream-long-sleeve-jersey-ec019967

£20 on ebay, worth a punt?

Fab Foodie

I have a cheap (Halfrauds Bicycle-line) long sleved jersey that I use in winter with my Gilet. Now I tend to use my summer tops with Arm warmers +/- Gilet, or the jersey again if particularly chilly.
It's a bit like having a capsule wardrobe of bits that work for you. I'm fairly fast and fairly sweaty, so I get-up to temp quite quickly, but need to let the vapour out. The Gilet + other basic bits in different combinations works for me most year round. If it's really cold I have a light waterproof jacket, which whilst aids heat retention, it's like being boiled in the bag!

I definitely try a Gilet and there's nothing wrong with the Altura Jersey in your armoury, you could do a lot worst.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool, thanks

Will buy the Jersey on fleabay and subscribe to the mag for the Gilet (buying it anyhow)!

This cycling lark is costly!! :evil:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Really... i'm surprised no one has suggested this.

At this time of year ... Arm warmers (and possibly leg warmers) are a must. wear them in the morning when it's chilly, strip them off, fold them up and pop them in your pocket for the journey home.

i have arm warmers, but personally i don't bother with leg warmers, i just wear the 3 quarter length leggings at this time of year (they come just below the knee to keep your knees warm) i find my lower leg doesn't really get cold.

but arm warmers are a God send. they really make a difference. it basically means long sleeves going to work and a nice short sleeve jersey to come home in. Also i water/windproof gilet that you can fit in your pocket helps too.

Fab Foodie

vickster said:
Cool, thanks

Will buy the Jersey on fleabay and subscribe to the mag for the Gilet (buying it anyhow)!

This cycling lark is costly!! :evil:

Fab!
It's costly in some ways. I've built-up basic kit over many years of making-do with various odds and sods. What I have found though is that good kit (clothes and bicycles) works well and endures a lot of use, so on that basis it's good value!
I reckon cycling as a hobby is much less than Gym membership with many other benefits that are hard to put a value on.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i agree Fab... once you build up your basic wardrobe... from then on in it's "wants" and not "needs". Go for quality because it lasts. my winter leggings are on their 5th or 6th year.

Rykard

Veteran
buggi said:
Really... i'm surprised no one has suggested this.

At this time of year ... Arm warmers (and possibly leg warmers) are a must. wear them in the morning when it's chilly, strip them off, fold them up and pop them in your pocket for the journey home.

i have arm warmers, but personally i don't bother with leg warmers, i just wear the 3 quarter length leggings at this time of year (they come just below the knee to keep your knees warm) i find my lower leg doesn't really get cold.

but arm warmers are a God send. they really make a difference. it basically means long sleeves going to work and a nice short sleeve jersey to come home in. Also i water/windproof gilet that you can fit in your pocket helps too.
+1

Top Bottom