Stuart Sinclair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That original chain looked perfectly setup to me as it was in the largest chainring and largest rear cog so you would expect the rear derailleur to be angled like that. Not a gear you would ever normally use even on a 10 or 12 speed bike. I would imagine that was the right number of links. As for the Altus rear derailleur visually unappealing on that bike but I have seen them used on touring bikes to great effect. Looks a good solid workhorse bike, nothing racey but dependable.

Who makes decent freewheels nowadays? Just feels like even the Shimano freewheels are pretty low end construction wise and I'm not sure they even make them themselves but buy from a Chinese factory. In the past you had freewheels at every quality and price level but now its entry level only it seems. I saw in a local bike shop the other day a Shimano freewheel for £29.99. Pretty sure not long ago they were selling at close to half that in the same store.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That original chain looked perfectly setup to me as it was in the largest chainring and largest rear cog so you would expect the rear derailleur to be angled like that.

If you look again it was on the second largest sprocket. Even on large/large I've never run one at that angle.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@bonzobanana the original chain was way too short as it would not allow you to select all the gears without locking up when selecting the two largest gears on the big ring.

As for who makes good cassette's these days i am not sure the one i am using has been on 4 different bikes and covered about 1k nice and quiet in 1 st to 3 rd but 4th to 6th it's as if the rear mech isn't lined up and it's been the same on every bike it's been used on.

Yes it's a nice solid machine in an ideal world it doesn't truly have mudguard clearance but they are on and they offer protection

If you look again it was on the second largest sprocket. Even on large/large I've never run one at that angle.
Yes I did miss that. I thought it was on the largest of the rear cogs and for me that would be fine. The chain is still angled as it goes through the derailleur pulleys and would have thought that was the ideal angle if it was on the largest rear cog. If it had been on the largest rear cog it would help prevent chain drops and provide less chain movement decreasing chain wear. I've seen on small folder bikes where chain drops are more common because of the small wheels and harder bumps when hitting pot holes etc they recommend a fairly short chain and that is on a fairly simple 1x setup like below and that is where the gear combination is actually used rather than cross chained. I guess it could be more necessary with cheaper derailleurs with smaller gauge wire springs. Many bikes now have clutch derailleurs that hold the chain under even higher tension these help prevent chain drops and chain slaps. When your in the big chain ring and the smallest rear cog you want the maximum chain tension possible as so few teeth are engaged with the chain on the rear cog. Increased chain tension is probably a good thing for folding bikes (derailleur takes a lot of abuse being so close to the ground, mud, dirt etc), mountain bikes of course and touring bikes but I guess a fair weather only road cyclist may not need additional chain tension. There is an article below that discusses it more. I definitely favour more chain tension over less chain tension myself.

s-l400.jpg

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/do-clutch-rear-derailleurs-add-drivetrain-friction/

@bonzobanana the original chain was way too short as it would not allow you to select all the gears without locking up when selecting the two largest gears on the big ring.

As for who makes good cassette's these days i am not sure the one i am using has been on 4 different bikes and covered about 1k nice and quiet in 1 st to 3 rd but 4th to 6th it's as if the rear mech isn't lined up and it's been the same on every bike it's been used on.

Yes it's a nice solid machine in an ideal world it doesn't truly have mudguard clearance but they are on and they offer protection

Yes I missed the fact it wasn't on the largest rear cog so definitely too short but would have been happy with that chain length if it had have been the largest cog and the gears work correctly with the correct adjustment of the B tension screw. I wasn't talking about cassettes but freewheels. Lots of fantastic options for cassettes but with freewheels nowadays its more limited. It looks like that Sinclair bike has a freewheel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogset

Who makes decent freewheels nowadays?
The new IRD Cyclone look all right, no ramps or fancy shaped teeth which are just a pain with old derailleurs, spare sprockets available as well. Not had one yet but intend to in the new year

I’ve been using one for awhile now, and it’s been alright so far. Clean changes with none of that rattling-trying-to-get-on-a-larger-sprocket you get with modern ramped sprockets and unhindered levers If you’re a bit less than accurate with the change.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thread resurrection.
This has sat unused for at least 18 months plans to convert it to Claris never really got going.
The last couple of weeks has seen some activity on it which has included taking the sticky and clunky sti units off and replacing with a set of 7 speed indexed down tube shifters.
Finally managed to get the hubs rebuilt a while back so they have been sat waiting to be fitted.
Next job is a bit of a clean find the front guard and then some new brake cables and guess what colour bar tape ?

IMG_20230910_170508727.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My ride plan for this morning was to do about 20 miles on the Ridley then head home and swap to the Sinclair for a 10 mile test ride.
But once I opened the garage door and realised that I needed to move the Sinclair to get the Ridley out , I thought well I might as well do the test miles first so set of for a couple of laps around the estate roads and 31 miles later my test ride ended back at home.
Made a couple of minor adjustments en route and that just really leaves the bar tape to be done and sort out the front guard.
Really impressed with the hope hubbed wheels just wish I knew what the rims were.

Top Bottom