Stubborn suburban mule

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sit in primary and let the tossers wait until it is safe for you to pull into secondary and there is enough room for them to overtake. If they beep their horn, cycle slower ! :cry:

You should aim to never get closer than 3 feet from the curb. So in this instance I would suggest you should take the primary. How long is the road and how long would they be held up for? I bet it would be a matter of seconds.

User1314 said:
Thanks for the answers all. To clarify - we are only talking a few seconds for a car to wait - ie the lenghth of four or five parked cars.

The crux of the matter appears to be this - the approaching cars. So,

That seals it then. Take a firm primary position and claim your road space. If needed, this also provides a get out route.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
You could also employ "the professional wobble" if it looks like they will pull out. Puts a bit of doubt in their mind about your ability and they will often back off unsure what you are going to do. :cry:

Tynan

Veteran
yep, if you're feeling unhappy/unsafe than it has to full on primary, that's what's it for

you're doing everyone a favour

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just to confirm, you're riding on the empty kerb side, and not the side with parked cars?

I'd probably follow the advice above. If riding next to the parked car side, I'd be 5 feet away from the cars because of the door zone.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User1314 said:
Ironic thing is that now I can cycle across central London with confidence, I need to start getting to grip with the rat-runs of the Suburban backwaters.

One thing I think Fossyant said rings true - as I recall it was that the parts before and after the city are the dangerous ones, because it's where people try to make up time after/before crawling through the city centre.

Another suggestion, if people do wait patiently as you negotiate the cars, give them a "thanks" wave to let them know you appreciate it. If you commute at the same times, hopefully the "regulars" will get to know you and be more ready to give you the room.

Arch

Married to Night Train
BentMikey said:
Just to confirm, you're riding on the empty kerb side, and not the side with parked cars?

I'd probably follow the advice above. If riding next to the parked car side, I'd be 5 feet away from the cars because of the door zone.

I think that's the case, in which case, I believe that Crock has the right of way, since the vehicle which has to pull out round an obstruction is the one that should wait, or so I've always been told.

Not that it necessarily makes those drivers more likely to wait, I realise, but it's useful mental fortification, having the moral highground.:biggrin: (As long as the instinct for self preservation cuts in in time...).

As for other tips - I find that very frequent glances over my shoulder can make a following vehicle back off or hesitate a bit - whether it's because they think it means I'm about to move out to the right, or because I'm making the briefest of eye contacts, or because I am possessed of a glance so fearful it turns people to stone, I don't know, but it often works. So if you are approaching this bottleneck and are aware of a car behind, look back, briefly but frequently and see if it works. Just make sure you're also taking in what's coming the other way.

02GF74

Über Member
ooooh, wish you people stop posting topics like this 'cause I am off on one again.......

YOU ARE ALLOWED YOUR SPACE ON THE ROAD SO DON'T GIVE IT UP.

You need to be about 2 foot from the kerb to avoid debris plus an "excape lane" to escape to should the need arise.

EFFING STUPID CAR DRIVERS - what will they achieve by trying to get past you?:?? They are too EFFING STUPID to realise that they save no time whatsoever as they will come up to the car in front that is holding them up, or a set of traffic lights, road junction, etc.

So to asnwer your question, you are correct in your road positioning.

JamesAC

John the Monkey said:
<snip> If you commute at the same times, hopefully the "regulars" will get to know you and be more ready to give you the room.
I agree with this. It's taken me about a year, but now I find that if I commute at my regular time, motorists I encouter seem not to be to surprised that I'm there; some even hold back for me. I wave a cheeful and very large "thankyou" pour encourage les autres. If I commute later or earlier than usual, then I encouter traffic which seems not to know what to do if a bike is around, and I seem to spend more time shouting and gesticulating than waving thanks.

Any doubt, move (with care) into primary. As soon as it is safe to do so, move (with care) back into secondary. If a driver has held back during this, give a little wave of acknowledgement as (s)he comes past: the driver will appreciate your appreciation of his or her superb driving skill, and will fell more inclined to put it into practice next time he (or she) encouters a cyclist.

Cab

Excellent advice has been given here already I think. The only thing left to add is not to let it stress you out. It might well upset some of them that you're in primary, but that isn't your fault. Don't let their bad mood ruin your trip, don't get baited into an argument or confrontation. If you back away from such a thing, if you just cycle on, then you won, they lost.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Exactly the same happens where I live, but it's a problem if you are in a car - one side has parked cars, one side doesn't. Motorists on side with parked cars think it's OK to charge down the wrong side of the road whilst other traffic is coming up the other way, and in the correct road position.

Top Bottom