stuck on keo cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
Thought I would change my cleats before riding this morning, as they are pretty knackered after lejog, but it has turned into something of an ordeal. As the bolts supplied seem to be made from cheese the process has never been a simple one for me, but never as bad as this. I'm having a lot of difficulty getting any purchase on either the flat head screw driver slot or the 3mm allen key option and running out of ideas whilst wearing out the bolts. Have given everything some gt85 to ease the process, including the other shoe that I haven't started on yet, but still not getting very far. Any help please?

I'd spray them with something like WD40 and leave it a few hours to penetrate then try again beyond that I'm not experience fortunately.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I used to use an old flat head screw driver and then hammer it into the groove a few time until it would gain purchase.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
Not sure I fancy hammering the carbon sole :/ or the heat from drilling the heads off. What if I tried to hacksaw the cleats off ? And then pliers or similar on the bolts

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I rounded off an allen bolt head whilst replacing cleats (albeit SPD-SLs) on old shoes before the LonJog. Solved by hammering in a slightly oversize torx bit. It's a tip I owe to Smokin Joe, which once saved the remote lockout on my Rock Shox Rebas.

Gary E

Veteran
Why would the drilling get hot? Take it steady and if you're worried cool it down regularly with water.
Use a drill slightly bigger than the threaded portion of the bolt (which from memory are about 4mm) make sure you drill centrally through the head. Once you've drilled enough for the head to pop off - stop drilling. Do this on all 3 (I'm assuming you're talking SPD-SL or similar here) then lift the cleat off. This should have left you with 3 studs sticking up out of the shoe that are long enough to grip with pliers or mole grips to unscrew them.
Simples :thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- and when you put the new ones on use some copper grease. Worth keeping an eye on the wear and replacing the bolts mid-life of the cleats if you can - sorry - bit late for all that now. Good luck

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure I fancy hammering the carbon sole :/ or the heat from drilling the heads off. What if I tried to hacksaw the cleats off ? And then pliers or similar on the bolts
Andy, I'm the most cackhanded person you've ever met and even I haven't managed to damage the sole of the shoe (yet) doing this!

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
So, hack saw made light work of the cleat, now left with three stubs. Second problem is the free floating nature of the bolt holders within the shoe...

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
Day three and the saga continues, I have removed 3/6 bolts with varying degrees of brutality, at this rate they may be done by Tuesday.

Top Bottom