Stuck pedals - any further ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
Looking at the photos, I'm thinking that that's the left hand pedal. That's the one with the left hand thread. Not like bottom brackets, RHS has LH thread.

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Guru
Blimey, are you turning it the right way?
Trust me, I was so paranoid about that that I actually went round threading left and right pedals into various old cranks just to reassure myself

Levo-Lon

Guru
Now admitting defeat.

I dismantled the pedal. The corners on the hex on the pedal angle were beginning to get rounded, so I used an angle grinder to grind two of the opposite flats down quite a way to make a really decent pair of parallel flats:
View attachment 417034
(Sorry, that’s not a very clear photo, but trust me...)

I then bolted my bench vice to an eight foot length of 2x4, gripped the new flats in the vice, and stuck a piece of scaffolding pole over the crank:

View attachment 417035

And pulled. To be precise, got my wife to stand on the 2x4 while I pushed with my feet against the 2x4 and pulled against the scaff pole.

With all my strength.

And nothing happened.

Which is why I am admitting defeat, at least till I can try again with a decent source of heat.

But thanks everyone for the suggestions

Holy tight axles Bat man..that is tight

rrarider

Veteran
If, in the photo of the bike pushed up against a bench, you are pulling up on the scaff pole, then you are tightening the pedal in the crank.

Top Bottom