Stuck pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
My nice new shiny retro pedals arrived today. As my old ones are wobbly and creaking I took no time to get them replaced with the new ones. That's as far it went though. The old pedals are the originals and have been on the bike for 35 years. I've done 5000 miles on them and goodness knows what they've done by the previous guardian of my bike. Needless to say there stuck solid. No matter how leverage I gave them the are simply refusing to let go. I think it will be a trip down to Halfords tomorrow and let them try. I think they will probably have to take the chain set off and grip it in a vice to get a better grip on them with a big spanner lol :-)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Give the spanner a bash with a hammer! They'll soon let go.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Place bike next to wall so you can lean against it while sitting on the bicycle. Then place the pedal you want to remove so it is at the lowest point nearest to floor. Then place the spanner so that the shaft is pointing towards the back of the bicycle. Now sit on the bike leaning against the wall, apply the brakes firmly and then place your foot on the end of the spanner and push down hard.
Normally shifts them - but make sure the spanner is a good quality one with reasonable length to increase leverage or place a stout length of metal pipe over the shaft of the spanner to increase length.

classic33

Leg End Member
Similar materials, steel in steel or steel in alloy?

Cycleops and DCLane have given the easiest way.

Use as wide, correct size spanner as possible, is all I'll add.

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^^ wot @mrandmrspoves said as a last resort. I stand on the pedal and get ready to jump free when it gives. Oh and make sure you are turning the pedals the right way. The left hand one has a reverse thread.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
After spending sometime this morning trying in vain to get the old pedals off I've finally admitted defeat. With my tail between my legs I reluctantly took my bike to Halfords to see if they could do any better. After 10 minutes and lot of wrestling they managed to free them up, using a decent sized long spanner to get some good leverage. Whilst the bike was there it gained some admiring attention from the staff and customers. It's not like it's an expensive bike by any means, but it does look like it's brand new, and has that certain classy look of what road bikes/ racers had back in the 70s/80s. When I went to pay the Halfords staff they didn't want payment purely because it was bought from them 35 years back and that it was nice to have such an old bike in there store that was originally bought from them. So Well done Halfords for the excellent service and being passionate about your job.
The old pedals where definitely past there best as the ride back felt smoother and quieter.
Happy days again :-) :-)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hi again.
After spending sometime this morning trying in vain to get the old pedals off I've finally admitted defeat. With my tail between my legs I reluctantly took my bike to Halfords to see if they could do any better. After 10 minutes and lot of wrestling they managed to free them up, using a decent sized long spanner to get some good leverage. Whilst the bike was there it gained some admiring attention from the staff and customers. It's not like it's an expensive bike by any means, but it does look like it's brand new, and has that certain classy look of what road bikes/ racers had back in the 70s/80s. When I went to pay the Halfords staff they didn't want payment purely because it was bought from them 35 years back and that it was nice to have such an old bike in there store that was originally bought from them. So Well done Halfords for the excellent service and being passionate about your job.
The old pedals where definitely past there best as the ride back felt smoother and quieter.

They are good at this sort of thing. I took my daughter’s Dawes Super Galaxy ‘91 in because I couldn’t get the ceased cassette off. They didn’t want payment but I gave the lads a fiver each.

midlife

Guru
Hi again.

Good news :smile:. What bike is it?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Good news :smile:. What bike is it?
It's only an old bog standard Peugeot Equipe dating back from the early 80s that's escaped the abuse a cheap bike usually gets. I find it a very comfortable bike to ride and easy to maintain ( apart from the pedals of course lol) but it also holds a lot of sentimental value to me, as its a bike that my belated mum once scrimped and saved to buy me when I was a youngster. To of found another one in excellent condition was a stroke of luck. Every time I look at it, it gives me a warm feeling inside that reminds me of my mum :-) :-)

Top Bottom