Stuck seatpost - yes another one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have tried:-
i) penetrating oil
2) twisting it using the seat (this bent the seat monuts which then needed straightning)
3) hammering it up/down using a block of wood (during which I managed to hit myself in the eye with the hammer ;) - I will have a superb shiner tomorrow :smile:).
4) heat
5) sticking the post in a vice and turning the bike.
Nothing will shift it. :biggrin:
Do I give up or keep trying?

PpPete

Legendary Member
With your 5) .... is it post turning in vice? or just cannot turn the frame?
If the former you could drill through the post and put a "tommy bar" through it to hold it in the vice.

If it's a steel frame and aluminium seat post there is always the caustic soda method. Its not quick though IME. There was a long thread about it a while ago.

Sheldon describes a method with a hacksaw blade inside the cut-off seat post, I could never get enough force on the blade to make any sort of cut when I tried that. A round file is easier to hold, but again, desperately slow work.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Post is not turning in the vice, just the bike will not turn round the post. Not my bike BTW, it belongs to my bro. I was putting the new seat on for him only to find that it needed lowering. Then the problems started.
Not worth LBS as the bike is worth less than the bill would be.
I can't seem to find owt in the house that has caustic soda (sodium hydroxide NaOH or Ammonia NH3). I have bleach, demestos etc. but non say they contain Ammonia.

EDIT: Have just got some drain cleaner and slopped some of that in it. We have a bit of a reaction. Will leave it for a bit.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
I have tried:-
i) drain cleaner neat
ii) drain cleaner diluted to aid it getting into nooks and crannies.
iii) wonder wheels
iv) coke.
v) swearing

...and... it still will not come out.

I daren't put anymore force on it when twisting the bike as I don't want to break my vice. At a loss now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Take it to someone with a bigger vice?

Have you tied supporting the frame on something solid and smacking the seatpost hard from above with a big hammer before twisting the frame with the post in the vice? This might shock the bond free.

Top Bottom