Stuff sack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Trying something new out this year, a dog food bag turned inside out. It's kind of posh dog food, so it's welded plastic with a ziploc closure. I'm going to see if I can consolidate my rack top gear into that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can get dry bags in a huge range of sizes on ebay. One of those will certainly do the job.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Just bought a big standard karrimor 15l dry bag for a couple of quid. I realised all the 'compression / vents' stuff seemed like a gimmick. And I was right. Shove the sleeping bag in, kneel on it, squish it, roll the top. Waterproof and compressed.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Just out of curiosity, do you "touring" folk have any particular way you strap stuff to the rack? I have two small (5l & 8l) dry bags for the two halves of the tent, and the 15l dry bag holding the sleeping bag. Do you strap each back on separately or bundle them together and strap them down as one?

Just out of curiosity, do you "touring" folk have any particular way you strap stuff to the rack? I have two small (5l & 8l) dry bags for the two halves of the tent, and the 15l dry bag holding the sleeping bag. Do you strap each back on separately or bundle them together and strap them down as one?
Panniers! Then I use a rack pack which is designed to use the pannier clips to hold itself down. It works. Tent, sleeping bag the lot all go into them.

IMG_1453.jpg

This picture shows how the ortlieb rack pack clips into the ortlieb roller to panniers. My husband also has pockets on his rear ortlieb panniers.

Failing that bungee cords with good hooks. But don't get the cheap bungee cords, they break too often...

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Cheers, I'm not using Ortlieb panniers and to be honest, they're just way too expensive for what I'm after.
I'm thinking it will only be the sleeping bag dry bag, and the tent fly in a mesh bag, strapped to the rack. Everything else will be in the side pannier bags.

That's the ortlieb rack pack i assume sstnav.

Been thinking of getting one though have discovered that it won't clip to my ortlieb bike packer.

In case i get some rollers can i ask which size of rack pack you use?

That's the ortlieb rack pack i assume sstnav.

Been thinking of getting one though have discovered that it won't clip to my ortlieb bike packer.

In case i get some rollers can i ask which size of rack pack you use?
That's the 30L version. Roughly £30 when we bought them a couple of years ago. Taken the hilleberg nammatj 3GT and a few other things to boot. You need the model panniers with the clips over the roller are. It clips on twice on both sides so no clips are unused. I've not had it detach even after a couple of nasty crashes, or even off rowing over some pretty uneven downhills on rocky bridle paths.

Cheers, I'm not using Ortlieb panniers and to be honest, they're just way too expensive for what I'm after.
I'm thinking it will only be the sleeping bag dry bag, and the tent fly in a mesh bag, strapped to the rack. Everything else will be in the side pannier bags.
Your only option will be bungee cords then. Get some good thick ones with decent hooks and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply satnav - sounds like a great system - now just have to ponder whether is worth getting duplicate back panniers (rollers instead of bike packer) so that i can use it

andym

Über Member
Bungee cords or tie-down straps (see previous links).

Trying to strap two bags to the rack is potentially a pain. Best to put everything into one dry bag.

You are almost certainly going to have condensation in your inner tent, so while I can see the thinking behind packing it into your pannier but I don't think it will work - my preference is to dry the tent at lunchtimes.

My candidates for the top of the pannier rack would be sleeping mat and tent.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Bungee cords or tie-down straps (see previous links).

Trying to strap two bags to the rack is potentially a pain. Best to put everything into one dry bag.

You are almost certainly going to have condensation in your inner tent, so while I can see the thinking behind packing it into your pannier but I don't think it will work - my preference is to dry the tent at lunchtimes.

My candidates for the top of the pannier rack would be sleeping mat and tent.

I'm planning to leave the wet tent fly in a mesh bag up top, and the hopefully dry-ish inner in a dry bag in the pannier, then as you say, take it out to dry at lunch time.

For touring, without a doubt. It is a fantastic system and I'm sure you could sell the others second hand here...
Sorry, another question to clarify.

Are your back rollers the classic or plus?

Or are both equally good for this clip- on system?

The plus i take it have the lighter material and tool-less rack fitting, just like my bike packers.

The 30 litre you refer to is i suppose the 31 litre as listed on wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-rack-pack-travel-bag-31-litre/

Sorry, another question to clarify.

Are your back rollers the classic or plus?

Or are both equally good for this clip- on system?

The plus i take it have the lighter material and tool-less rack fitting, just like my bike packers.

The 30 litre you refer to is i suppose the 31 litre as listed on wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-rack-pack-travel-bag-31-litre/
I have the classics. The classic plus I'd just a different material which takes less time to look worn... It is specifically the roller top with the clips over the top that you need. The roller cities, I think they are called which are the lighter weight version of the roller tops, lack the clip over the top so won't work.

It is the 2nd size up that we both have. Both the smallest and the next size up clip into the panniers... I have meet someone touring with the 54L but it seemed too wide to clip in reliably and I know when we purchased ours ortlieb said the 54L didn't clip in.

They've gone up a touch in price! Have a hunt around.. I know just before Christmas there were some good deals on the classic rollers to be had even brand new!

Could be worth keeping an eye on these on eBay.. Says they are back, so guessing they are the rears and even if you need to patch them the ortlieb repair kits are not expensive and work :whistle: that comes with a don't ask me how I know tag...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortlieb-Waterproof-Back-Roller-Classic-Black-Pannier-x2-/161592263050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259fa6418a

Last edited:
Top Bottom