Stuff sack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So to be a pedantic pain, both classic and plus rollers are fine for that attachment?

I have other questions about relative merits of classic and plus backrollers but that will have to be another thread or off topic.

Many thanks for your replies.

So to be a pedantic pain, both classic and plus rollers are fine for that attachment?

I have other questions about relative merits of classic and plus backrollers but that will have to be another thread or off topic.

Many thanks for your replies.
Yep. The only difference between the two is the material and therefore the weight, plus the fact that the plus model had the QL2 clip design at the rear rather than the QL1. The overall design is the same. SJS cycles seem to be the cheapest at the moment and their images show the details best.

www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-back-roller-classic-black-40-litre-prod9462/
www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-back-roller-plus-black-40-litre-prod4552/

tournut

Cheers, I'm not using Ortlieb panniers and to be honest, they're just way too expensive for what I'm after.
I'm thinking it will only be the sleeping bag dry bag, and the tent fly in a mesh bag, strapped to the rack. Everything else will be in the side pannier bags.
All ive used for the past years rear rack sportdirect 20 quid pannier double 20quid. Sleeping bag one side tent taken out of its bag the other side with small gaz cooker few bits and bobs. Tent poles on top of rack. Front pannier rack axiom low rider 20 quid. Half size sleep mat and few clothes in front bags, you dont need tons of stuff .

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Cheers for all the info so far.

Due to my bike having carbon forks, front panniers are a no-no. So my only storage points (at the moment) are two rear panniers, a bar bag, and the top of the rack.

I've been a few posts and it seems most people stash the tent (inner and fly) in the same pannier as the sleeping bag. I would have thought this would be a bad idea? Due to the fly often being wet, the inner's groundsheet being damp and coming in to contact with the sleeping bag? I could wedge both parts of the tent and sleeping bag in a pannier bag but thought separating them would be better.
My initial thoughts are:
Left pannier = Tent inner inside dry bag. Sleeping mat, in compression sack. Bits and bobs.
Right pannier = Clothes in dry bag.
Rack top = Sleeping bag in dry bag. Tent fly in mesh bag, tent pole in skinny bag.
Bar bag = wallet, phone, camera etc

Lunch time, the tent components would be pulled out to dry for an hour.

Is separating the tent parts worth the effort of having two separate bags? Should I just stuff the inner and fly together?

Any issues with this? I know dry bags aren't invulnerable but if it really lashes down I'll be getting off the road. The sleeping bag is synthetic btw, not down.

Due to my bike having carbon forks, front panniers are a no-no. So my only storage points (at the moment) are two rear panniers, a bar bag, and the top of the rack.

I've been a few posts and it seems most people stash the tent (inner and fly) in the same pannier as the sleeping bag. I would have thought this would be a bad idea? Due to the fly often being wet, the inner's groundsheet being damp and coming in to contact with the sleeping bag? I could wedge both parts of the tent and sleeping bag in a pannier bag but thought separating them would be better.
My initial thoughts are:
Left pannier = Tent inner inside dry bag. Sleeping mat, in compression sack. Bits and bobs.
Rack top = Sleeping bag in dry bag. Tent fly in mesh bag, tent pole in skinny bag.

Is separating the tent parts worth the effort of having two separate bags? Should I just stuff the inner and fly together?

Any issues with this? I know dry bags aren't invulnerable but if it really lashes down I'll be getting off the road. The sleeping bag is synthetic btw, not down.
Your main aim is to keep the panniers equal in weight not necessarily volume otherwise you will have bike handling problems! And I agree sleeping bag (your only advantage of synthetic is that it will still be warm if it gets wet, just not pleasant!) with a damp or wet tent is not a good idea.
I would get an ortlieb dry bag or duffle bag and settle for the time old trick of bungee cords once your panniers are on your bike personally.

andym

Über Member
These things always come down to personal preference, but if your sleeping mat is like mine it's about the same size as the sleeping bag. As your sleeping mat doesn't absorb moisture it does seem to be the more likely candidate to put with the tent.

As far as packing the tent is concerned it depends a bit on the type of tent. Mine can be pitched with the fly and inner together and so in dry summer weather I don't bother to separate them - but if the fly is sodden then I definitely separate it and put the inner into the pannier. If you have the type where you have to put up the inner first then you might as well separate them.

(Sorry to disagree with SatNav but people happily ride with one pannier. OK you don't want a ridiculous difference in weight, but I wouldn't obsess too much about it. I generally put all of my sleeping suff together, but apart from that it's a question of what fits where.).

tournut

My initial thoughts are:

Hi carbon front forks are not great for any long distance tours, just in case somthing goes wrong like cracks in them, but thats up to you. Hope you enjoy your travels. You carnt beat it.

And of course the other thing to bare in mind is that when you get to the campsite and it is throwing it down with rain, the last thing you need to be doing is unpacking everything to be able to get the tent up in the first place!

These in our experience are excellent for putting tents into prior to putting onto the pannier rack with bungee cords - they prevent wear points on your tent bad and ultimately tent caused by friction. Other makes and sizes available... Plus it goes what make tent you are carrying of it is an expensive one!

www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-dry-bag-13-litres/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&kpid=5360469657&sku=5360469657&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360469657uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=s7TjkOabc_dt%7cpcrid%7c%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360469657uk

Hi carbon front forks are not great for any long distance tours, just in case somthing goes wrong like cracks in them, but thats up to you. Hope you enjoy your travels. You carnt beat it.
People have done west coast route LEJoG or JoGLE on triban 3's which have carbon forks so I think the op should be fine for what he is planning.

tournut

For got to mention i use a plastic light tarp over my tent 4 light alloy poles, use it as a ridge tent over dome tent, it never gets wet.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I am able to tour with all my gear in a saddlebag, incl, tent ,sleeping bag,stove etc. Reason is I bought 2 plastic Vacuum clothes storage bags at the £1 shop. It has a non returnable valve built in. Shove all my clothing and stuff I don't need in the day in it. fasten top. Undo valve, kneel on it and roll it. Blows all the air out. Tighten valve. Makes everything incredibly small. The same can be done with sleeping bag. You save so much space! Also as they are see through plastic you know whats in the bag without scrabbling around. And waterproof. Brilliant.

Anyone got any views on compressing the sleeping bag so much? Could it do any harm or is it ok because it is for such a short period?

Am assuming you don't compress the stove bigjim (or yourself) but am still mega impressed by your saddle bag achievement.

Anyone got any views on compressing the sleeping bag so much? Could it do any harm or is it ok because it is for such a short period?

Am assuming you don't compress the stove bigjim (or yourself) but am still mega impressed by your saddle bag achievement.
Short term is not a problem and anyhow you are using it for roughly ⅓ of the time... Ours were like that for 12 months on tour, we just aired them from time to time... No issues and we still use them!

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

From what I understand down bags may have issues being compressed, where as synthetics don't seem to mind too much. I store the bag expanded when at home though.

Top Bottom