Stuff wot we should all read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Couldn't they have made it the "readable cloud", or the "nicely formatted list cloud"? My eyes hurt. :headshake:

The best non-fiction I ever read (and which basically drove my career) is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie. :crazy:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Same for me.
It's honda 'Books to Revisit Before I Die' list.

It's Matchless.

spen666

Legendary Member
Why SHOULD we all read any of these?

People should read what they want not what some pretentious writer insists they read

People should no more read this than the complete catalogue of Enid Blyton.

The books on list may well be interesting and worth a read,but that is differrent from demanding or dictating what people should do

spen666

Legendary Member
You are confusing recommended with diktat.
That does not answer my question

Should is more than a recommendation, but even if it is a recommendation, why should I or anyone read books simply because someone puts them on a list. What benefit is there to me or my life or indeed society if I read them or not?

I read what interests me, not because someone who knows nothing about t me o my life puts on a pretentious list.

Àrchbold on criminal proceedings 2015 edition would benefit me more than many go is on that list

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Why SHOULD we all read any of these?

People should read what they want not what some pretentious writer insists they read

People should no more read this than the complete catalogue of Enid Blyton.

The books on list may well be interesting and worth a read,but that is differrent from demanding or dictating what people should do

In the 1950's, my Uncle applied for a scholarship to a local public school.

During the interview he was asked: " Troller, what are you currently reading?" He replied, " The Beano and The Dandy, sir."

My grandparents were mortified. Silly young b*gger! Why'd yer have to go and say that for?

Still got accepted, mind you! :rolleyes:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I knew it was a mistake to dis the Dawk! The faith is strong in his disciples.

But for the record, I've read the first three, including Extended Phenotype, which by his own reckoning is his most technical/serious book. To be honest, after that they get increasing repetitive. I've also read stuff by, inter alia, Darwin, Dobhzhansky, Eva Jablonka, Lynn Margulis, Gerd Mueller, Gabby Dover, Rico Coen, so I'd like to think my disdain is reasonably informed.

His personal politics seem a little, er, unreconstructed, btw.
I wasn't necessarily aiming at you, or even claiming to be be a Dawkins disciple, just pointing out that he does come in for some ill informed criticism. Of course sometimes he doesn't help himself. Or he just likes being the centre of attention anyhow.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
not sure if "brief history of time" deserves its place. rather garbles what we know and simultaneously over simplified and not well explained and mixed with wilder shores of speculation. Some of Feynman's pop-sci books or Bryson's history of everything are far far better.

OP
OP
U

User169

That does not answer my question

Should is more than a recommendation, but even if it is a recommendation, why should I or anyone read books simply because someone puts them on a list. What benefit is there to me or my life or indeed society if I read them or not?

I read what interests me, not because someone who knows nothing about t me o my life puts on a pretentious list.

Àrchbold on criminal proceedings 2015 edition would benefit me more than many go is on that list

What do you find pretentious about the list?

Top Bottom