Stuff you've found on your travels..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While I don't go out of my way to do so, I like finding stuff. It makes me feel like I'm rescuing something otherwise destined to be wasted; it potentially scores me something useful that I don't have to pay for and of course if worth pursuing there's also the moral angle of reuniting something with its rightful owner.

I've been out a lot in the past year and looking back have found quite a few items.. sadly no briefcases stuff with unmarked £20s but some rewarding little scores all the same:

- Wallet (contacted owner and subsequently posted it through their door)
- Smart phone (contacted owner who promptly collected it with bubbly and chocolates for my trouble :smile: )
- Smart phone (smashed, unsalvageable / untraceable, binned)
- ofo bike (given a bit of TLC and pressed into service as my utility bike)
- 150mm steel rule (added to the toolbox)
- 2x first class stamps (will be used soon enough)
- Old steel road bike (tried and failed to reunite with original owner, moved on as it needed more work than I was able to justify)
- SKS mudguard stay end cap (kept as a spare - pity I couldn't have found it before I bought a set of replacements after losing one myself)

What have you found while out and about?

Sharky

Guru
2 x wallets - traced and returned to owners
Various coins - one find was about 10 £1 coins all together at a cross road
DVD's & CD's
The odd tool/spanner and discarded individual sockets
Foreign banknote
Swiss army type pen knife
Front light

and of course a few thorns

I've also lost pumps and lights that have fallen off and not noticed

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Loads. Last winter I managed a wooden railway sleeper dumped by the roadside, Carrera Vengence dumped in a flooded roadside copse and a bunch of keys lost by a cyclist (they had an AA key Finder tag so I rang them and they put me in touch with the grateful owner - I got 2 bottles of wine off him and £10 reward from the AA).

13 rider

Guru
Wallet owner traced via driving license returned to owner on the same ride .
Fully wrapped birthday present found in the road . Owner traced thanks to Stone Hurst farm near where the present was found which hosts kids parties and me guessing it may be connected . Made a six year old very happy when mum and him called to collect it . Mum had put parcel on the car roof while she strapped him in then drove off . My reward was some lovely Birthday cake

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Found loadsa tools: regular pliers, mole grips, spanners, metal wire brush, but the needle nose pliers were the best find.

I've got an extensive tool set for general fixing duties, but never thought I'd need needle nose pliers. Gosh, they're one of my best tools now: think KMC quick links and other fiddly jobs.

Also found currency: £5 and £10 twice.

Cable ties: some new, some scruffy and some in between, but all usable.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
GoPro, expensive sunglasses, expensive watch, lots of pound coins and the odd note, surf board, fish tag which I claimed £100 from the Govt CEFAS research facility for, fishing tackle, dog leads.......the list goes on. It's amazing what people leave/lose on our beach.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A Wilko rear light
(I'm sure we've had this thread before)

Top Bottom