Stuff you've found on your travels..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'll be honest and say I never really gave it any thought. Ran over it, so stopped and went back to see what I'd hit. Then I found out what it was, and what was in it.

Where would you take something like that. A phonecall to the police would have taken longer than the trip to the station. I was taking the easy option.
Absolutely - not questioning your decision, just stating that I'm not sure I'd be able to just casually chuck the dismembered bit of person in my wicker basket and continue merrily on my way :tongue:

FWIW I'd probably have left it where it was and popped my head around the door of the cop shop to let them know. Same outcome either way I guess :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Absolutely - not questioning your decision, just stating that I'm not sure I'd be able to just casually chuck the dismembered bit of person in my wicker basket and continue merrily on my way :tongue:

FWIW I'd probably have left it where it was and popped my head around the door of the cop shop to let them know. Same outcome either way I guess :smile:
No wicker basket on the mountain bike.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Back in my motorbike days, wearing a tight fitting helmet, I came across an exhaust pipe in the middle of a country lane (I was going in circles looking for mates I was meeting)
To clear the road I threw it over a fence.
Eventually I found my mates, took the helmet off and the noise told me whos exhaust it was:wacko:.
I then had to go back, find it and fit it back on.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Aftermath of an accident. I ran over it.

Picked it up and took it to the local police station, which I'd to pass anyway. They were non too happy at me handing it over.
in the early 60's an American F-104 made an emergency landing at Cranfield. It didn't go well, the place crashed and disintegrated. The mess was cleared up, but some days later a ruddy faced farmer boy walked into the local cop shop, dumped a burlap sack on the counter, and said rather angrily, "I'm fed up with rubbish being dumped in moi field!". The desk Sergeant opened to sack to find it contained a helmet worn by the F104 pilot, with the head still inside it.

gbb

Legendary Member
On the bike, a very very nearly new general purpose woodsaw, still in its scabbard, at the side of the road. Lovely :smile:
A good few screwdrivers, mole grips, adjustable spanners etc.
A dead fish ?....in the road, in the middle of nowhere ?
Had i cycled an hour earlier, i might have found a dead body in the Nene on a quiet stretch between P'Boro and Whittlesea...as it was, the Police had just turned up as i rode past, they hadnt even got him out the water. A poor fella that had disappeared some months earlier at the beerfest nearby.

figbat

Slippery scientist
....F-104...crashed and disintegrated....
Par for the course I believe.

On finding stuff, is there a point where seeing something becomes finding it? I have seen and ridden past quite a few discarded gloves, trainers, woolly hats, wheel trims etc; I assume that I didn't find them as I didn't pick them up.

classic33

Leg End Member
Par for the course I believe.

On finding stuff, is there a point where seeing something becomes finding it? I have seen and ridden past quite a few discarded gloves, trainers, woolly hats, wheel trims etc; I assume that I didn't find them as I didn't pick them up.
Found an upturned Porsche, I couldn't lift it, in a field next to the road cycling to work one morning. Did report it on the off chance I might be able to claim it later.

Sharky

Guru
Just walking across Blackheath Common and found this...

1613924039641362475937590910889.jpg

So if anybody has lost a saddle...

Sharky

Guru
I was there yesterday but not on my bike.
I have never seen the common and park so busy. Greenwich park was rammed.
Yep it was choc a block. I'd hate to be a cyclist there. They couldn't ride for more than a few yards without stopping or swerving round people. But it was really spring like.

Found an upturned Porsche, I couldn't lift it, in a field next to the road cycling to work one morning. Did report it on the off chance I might be able to claim it later.
Many years ago I found a white Lamborghini Countach on its roof up on the steep banking near the Manchester airport runway tunnel opposite castle mill lane. There was nobody inside, it must have been a squeeze to get out and nobody in attendance, a very bizarre thing.

Top Bottom