Stupid accidents thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I once mildly electrocuted myself. I was washing the dishes, then absent mindedly went to switch on a wall socket... POP went the noise as my arm flew from in front of me to behind me in a split second, I went for a lie down with pains in my chest, really annoyed at how very stupid that was. I was fully recovered by about 10 minutes later thankfully.

Sharky

Guru
It was indeed. We would often get to the Cavern for 30 minutes at lunchtime.
I worked in the Royal Liver and myself and a couple of mates would often walk between the Liver Buildings and Cunard. It could get very windy.
You have to understand......stockings & suspenders were still in as were mini dresses so it could get very entertaining..
Well we were only 15 years old :rolleyes:
I was a bit younger than you, but my time at school in Prescot was from 61-68 and every release from the Beatles was eagerly awaited. It was great times. One of my cousins was a bit older than me and worked for BT or the Post Office in Liverpool and used to go to the Cavern. I've only been to the rebuilt tourist version.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The cyclist was so lucky.
Yes, he really WAS lucky to get away just with a small cut to his face!

I got away with staring at my bike computer on a descent...

I hit 56 mph early in my adult cycling 'career', freewheeling down Rossendale Rd from the Manchester Rd lights on the fringes of Burnley. I too was aiming to hit 60 mph, but what I actually hit (due to staring at the computer rather than the road ahead) was a raised manhole cover! While I was in the air with my bike I decided that if I survived, I would be a bit more careful in the future!

The bike somehow touched down without the tyres puncturing, bounced back into the air, landed again, slewed in front of oncoming traffic, and then I regained control ... :eek:
(Yes, I know! :whistle:)

I know of three cases where the rider didn't survive.
- One was a club mate of my dad and his wife was expecting. Went to school with the boy, but so sad that he never knew his dad.
- Another was a rider who had started about 15 places ahead of me on the J14 25 course in about 1967/68. Passed him lying in a pool of blood with shocked people all around. Never forget his father's face when I got back to the finish.
That's horrible - sorry to hear that!

Keep your head up.
Definitely the thing to do when out on the road! (Or cyclepath, bridleway, wherever...)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crashed coming down cat and fiddle, on a hot summer's day. Cause, spilled dairy products, quite common I believe. Me skinned backside - had to ride 15 miles home with half my buttock sticking out, completely shredded a brand new set of blue club shorts, and I was left with a bloodied and bright red botty ! God did it sting when I got in the shower. I still have a bald patch where the hairs and skin were burnt off.

Drago

Legendary Member
Many moons ago when I was a young man I was having a play fight with Mrs D Mk1 in bed. Anyway, Mrs D Mk1 went to slap me, I grabbed her wrist, lost my balance, fell backwards off the bed and ;landed on my back on the floor. Mrs D the first fell atop me and landed elbows firs ton my ribs, causing breakages. I couldn't move, was laying their stark bollark naked, and had a right time persuading the ambulance people (thankfully both blokes) that it was an accident and I was not a victim of domestic violence. to this day, so 25 years on, my intercostals down one side still ache if I sleep funny.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got loads, I'll be back later ! I'm known for being 'accident' prone at work - I won't bore you with the serious stuff though. :eek:

OK one more. A year after breaking my back, I went MTB'ing with 3 others from here at Llandegla. Guess who hit a tree stump on the easiest section, at the top of the mountain on the flat. Landed on my helmet and shoulder. Couldn't use my left arm. Thank god for hydraulic brakes. Still did the black route. :bicycle:

Drove home in 1st, 3rd and 5th as I couldn't pull the gear stick back to 2nd and 4th. Had to hide the gravel rash and the difficulty moving from MrsF otherwise I would have been dead. We were even out celebrating my brother's birthday that evening. Copious amounts of alcohol soothed the pain.

Next.....

Drago

Legendary Member

Levo-Lon

Guru
Queens hotel Cheltenham
My 40th
Thought I'd have a bath..
Big sign ..use anti slip mat..WHY I'm not old..

Right foot shot off towards taps
Left foot stayed on top of the bath ,head end..
Nuts dipped in bath!! Back tweaked ..wife hysterical :laugh:
I'm no gymnast :laugh:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Ohhh dear, where to start?

Once upon a time in a small house not far from Holmfirth a young man (it was a long time ago) decided to make a chilli. He knew there was a large (in fact one could say commercial sized) bag of chilli powder in the top cupboard in the kitchen, so reached up to retrieve it. Unknown to the poor chap, the evil kitchen elves had sabotaged the shelf, cracking the wood veneer, and leaving a sharp, hidden edge. As the plastic bag of "napalm strength, extra hot chilli powder" was pulled towards the front of the cupboard, this hidden blade neatly sliced open the bottom of the bag. As the poor unsuspecting victim looked up at the shelf, 2 kg of powdered agony showered down on his face.

Our hero screamed - which was not a good idea, as now the little grains of pain were in his throat as well as his eyes, nose and everywhere else. He dragged himself out of the expanding cloud of powder and ran blindly for the door, careening off various hard and pointed surfaces at every step. The neighbours, alerted no doubt by the gentle burbles of agony as his lungs dissolved, found him lying on the lawn, frantically trying to scrape his face off on the wet grass. Springing into action, they called an ambulance for the poor fool, and he was shortly (for this was before the time of pandemics and swinging cuts to the health service) delivered to the tender mercies of the local A&E department... undoubtedly goodly folks to a one, but would it have killed the bastards to laugh a little more quietly, and to at least be somewhat more discreet when ringing their comrades in other departments to come look at the idiot with the glowing face and lungs of fire.

The moral of this tale, dear reader is even in times of pandemics, plagues and panic buying...... do not hoard chilli powder!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

gbb

Legendary Member
1977 till 2000 I worked In the same job in an engineering dept within a frozen vegetable producer...it was a breeze 70% of the time.
Cribbage, I cannot tell you how many thousands of games I've played at work, we used to have leagues all the time.
I couldnt find the normal peg board so decided to make one at work but only had 2 short lengths of suitable hardwood so drilled and dowelled them to make a longer, single piece.
Meh I didnt drill accurately enough and they weren't level so I tried to prize the two pieces apart...no chance, too tight.
Stood one piece in a vice, grappled the other piece , waggling it, pulling it to come away from the other....which it did...very fast, very unexpectedly....into my mouth, punching one tooth right through my lip.:cry:

Accident book went something like...'I was lifting a heavy electric motor off a shelf at head height , it slipped and hit my face as it fell'

One moments lack of common sense or thought...:shy:

gbb

Legendary Member
17 years old and driving a fully off road loaded Landrover in the company of nutcases of the same ish age...what can go wrong ????

Countryside single track road, came up behind a tractor who was in no rush to go anywhere, so I dutifully followed it for a few hundred yards.
'C'mon, you're in a Landrover, for God's sake, overtake him on the verge'...ribbed my impatient colleagues.

So I swung onto the grass verge, bumped my way on the grass alongside the tractor ....the suddenly the front wing dipped, followed by the rest of the Landie...into a hidden ditch. We just slid along at about 45 degrees for what seemed like forever, slid to a stop and all tumbled out, them laughing, me miserably embarrassed.
Tractor driver stopped and offered help, went and got some chains, came back and dragged us out...but it took what seemed like an eternity when all I wanted was to get away from the embarrassing spectacle :laugh:
No noticeable damage to the Landrover ironically.

Top Bottom