Stupid Cyclist!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

XmisterIS said:
Yep, perhaps I was a little hasty with the horn!

The thing to remember is that in a car you're muffled somewhat from the full volume of the horn, so to someone just outside the car it sounds bl**dy loud and to someone like me with very good hearing it doesn't tend to provoke a pleasant response, in fact it's the only thing that makes me angry when cycling.

I was cycling alond the other day when a driver immediately behind me hooted at a friend across the street, and when I saw him pull over just ahead I couldn't help myself...

OvertheHill

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
Remember Rule 147 folks;

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should

• try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well
  • be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake
  • not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey
  • slow down and hold back if a road user pulls out into your path at a junction. Allow them to get clear. Do not over-react by driving too close behind to intimidate them
And chill.... ;)

Traffic-calming measures. On some roads there are features such as road humps, chicanes and narrowings which are intended to slow you down. When you approach these features reduce your speed. Allow cyclists and motorcyclists room to pass through them. Maintain a reduced speed along the whole of the stretch of road within the calming measures. Give way to oncoming road users if directed to do so by signs. You should not overtake other moving road users while in these areas.

The term right of way may not appear in the highway code but giving way if directed to do so by signs does. Plenty of idiots out there both on bikes and in cars who simply don't seem to care about the effect they have on other road users so long as they don't get inconvenienced. Sad reflection on a lot of society really

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
All road user should remember that the HC is there for all of us, we all have an equal right to use the road and should take notice where there signs directing us to give way to others. They apply equally when others are directed to give way to us...

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Not a fireblade, a car!

XmisterIS said:
So, I slowed right down to about 25 mph, came up to the first chicane and prepared to go through it. Bear in mind that (a) I was driving a car and (:smile: I had right of way.

Twanger

Über Member
MartinC said:
Yes, inconsiderate road behaviour is very annoying.

Several points to consider:

There is no such thing as "right of way" in the Highway Code. In some situations some road users will have priority. In the situation you describe you had priority. You still have a responsibility to drive safely and avoid your ton and a half of metal injuring anyone.

I don't think that the concept of right of way ever included the right to injure and maim in enjoyment of the right. I think the two terms (RoW and Priority) are pretty well synonymous.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Seems to me the cyclist was being a bit cocky and at the same time might of not known the area that well, should not be an excuse though. Look before you leap and try to observe the road ahead before blowing gaskets right left and centre.

Now don't get me wrong here, but i thought these traffic calming chicanes are mostly in a 20 zones, so reducing your speed down to 25 from 30, is not going to make a huge difference...i would of slowed down even more just to be cautious, we all get heated up but we all need to stay calm in these kind of situations.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
This thread just keeps on going ... :blush:

Top Bottom