stupid hamburger dimensions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Why in this country do we think that decent meat has to be almost square to be edible?

Just made my own hamburgers using the Tesco special ones, which are like oversized hockey pucks compared to the cheap saucer shaped ones.

-They don't fit in buns
-you can't cook them in a frying pan, without having to stick them in the microwave for 2 minutes after where all the juice seeps out.

It's the same with steak!!! If you have a decent steak in france, it's the size of bacon rashers. In this phillistine country it has 4 dimensions and needs to be cooked in a blast furnace, not a frying pan.

longers

Legendary Member
Or is it that the buns are the wrong size/shape?

Or buy your own mince and make burgers to fit any shape of bread. I have a very good recipe for lamb burgers if you want.

bonj2

don't know about square ones, never seen them - but what i can't stand is the mcdonald's ones that are taller than they are wide. Arrggh!! no! they are literally about 8cm in diameter. I'm sure they never used to be that tiny. They've just cut down the size in the diameter, hoping that people won't notice because they're still the same height.

simonali

Guru
Abitrary said:
Why in this country do we think that decent meat has to be almost square to be edible?

Just made my own hamburgers using the Tesco special ones, which are like oversized hockey pucks compared to the cheap saucer shaped ones.

-They don't fit in buns
-you can't cook them in a frying pan, without having to stick them in the microwave for 2 minutes after where all the juice seeps out.

It's the same with steak!!! If you have a decent steak in france, it's the size of bacon rashers. In this phillistine country it has 4 dimensions and needs to be cooked in a blast furnace, not a frying pan.

They're rubbish, aren't they?! If you grill them they finish up almost spherical and sit in the middle of your bap with an inch of bread all round the edge!

I use a roller on them now and flatten them to the size of a saucer before cooking.

simonali

Guru
I sometimes make my own in the food processor. Use the chopping blade to chop your mince till it's a paste and then just add one diced onion and a good spoonful of horse radish sauce and whiz it a bit more. Deelish!

Slim

Über Member
If you're mincing steak to make burgers, what sort of steak do you buy in the first place. Obviously it's overkill to get fillet but would (relatively) cheap braising steak do the job??

- and yes that rumbling sound in the background is my stomach reacting to all this talk of food.

hm, I don't mince mine anymore than when i get it from the shops. I pack it with things like finely chopped onions, garlic, chillis/piri piri, or if its turkey i usually add lemon zest and thyme; pork I add a bit of mustard etc, bind it all with an egg, and sometimes add grated parmesan, season well, and then dust the outsides with flour to hold them together. They just sit on the griddle for 20 mins, turn 'em once, and they're done. mmmmmm :girl:

longers

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
Let's have it then longers, I love lamb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok then, off the top of my head.

Lamb mince,
Red onion finely chopped,
Raw egg or two depending on quantity,
Chopped sundried tomatoes (re-hydrate in hot water for 3/4 hour first),
Large handfull of fresh mint chopped roughlyish,
Tabasco,
Balsamic vinegar,
Wuster sauce,
Lemon juice,
Black pepper,
Grated strong cheddar,

That's it I think :girl:. I cook them on a nice hot griddle pan.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

longers said:
Ok then, off the top of my head.

Lamb mince,
Red onion finely chopped,
Raw egg or two depending on quantity,
Chopped sundried tomatoes (re-hydrate in hot water for 3/4 hour first),
Large handfull of fresh mint chopped roughlyish,
Tabasco,
Balsamic vinegar,
Wuster sauce,
Lemon juice,
Black pepper,
Grated strong cheddar,

That's it I think :cry:. I cook them on a nice hot griddle pan.

Are those the chewy ones?

Top Bottom