Stupid local authority and the threat to humanity from cyclists.. (apparently)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Sounds fair enough: rules is rules.

And the newspaper is even-handed enough to point out that, during the 'crackdown', the police also fined a number of speeding drivers and those using mobile phones while driving. An idiot's an idiot, whatever vehicle they're using.

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
tbh, I'm really "annoyed", because the example they gave was the town hall square.. I used to commute via the town hall square (yes, I got off and walked) and it's a pedestrianised area with small "no cycling" signs..
However to discourage motorists in the town centre, they've slowly made more and more one way and pedestrianized (over a period of years)
but at no point, has the council put cycle lanes or mixed mode in.. So as a cyclist, you are supposed to sometimes cycle "large" distances ( intended to put motorists off), so when I worked in the town I'd have about a 1.5 mile cycle ( first time I commuted it was the quickest way to get to work).. however this was 1.5miles only if I did a 20yard cut across the town hall square .. OR I took a 400yrds detour on busy roads ( I know, not far, but in proportion, annoying!)...

( I don't argue with the nobbers bit, however the 'operation' appears to be targeting cyclists in the pedestrianised area in the town center )

GRUMP!

Reactions: apb

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
as a self confessed occasional pavement cyclist...I'll happily break the law and ride on pedestrianised streets in the town centre when it suits me.... and that is when it's quiet.

If i got an FPN for cycling in the ped-zone at say 8pm in the evening, I'd be livid, but a week day lunchtime... I'd have had it coming.

paul04

Über Member
Near where I work The speed limit on the road is 40 mph, so on busy days it can be very hard to cross the main road to turn right on a bike,
Somedays I use the pelican lights to cross the road, but that does mean I have to cycle on the pavement for about 100 yards to get into work.

If I did get stopped by the police I would explain why I was on the pavement, and hope they understand.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I read on the internet... so it must be true... that they're advised to only stop pavement cyclists who are being a nuisance. Which sounds sensible enough. Whether that applies to a copper who's in a grumpy mood and having bad and agonisingly uneventful day, i don't know. I bet it doesn't apply during any 'crackdown' though.

It sounds like good joined-up policing and local-authority oversight to me.

We (cyclists) cannot both bleat about not being taken seriously as road users and expect to be ignored when we break very simple rules.

I am a pavement cyclist (occasionally). I have yet to be fined for it, but I deserve to be.

I used to park where I wanted and called my tickets a 'luxury tax'. It was a luxury to park where I wanted and I paid a tax on it. I treated speeding tickets the same way, but I was younger then and childless.

I now park sensibly and drive slowly, but I'd still be happy to pay 'luxury tax' for the occasional zip across the pavement, particularly on Oxford Street, where the buses can get jolly close together.

But good on the Police for doing what is described in the OP's link.

Tim Hall

Near where I work The speed limit on the road is 40 mph, so on busy days it can be very hard to cross the main road to turn right on a bike,
Somedays I use the pelican lights to cross the road, but that does mean I have to cycle on the pavement for about 100 yards to get into work.

If I did get stopped by the police I would explain why I was on the pavement, and hope they understand.

Umm, why can't you walk the 100 yards, pushing your bike?

It sounds like good joined-up policing and local-authority oversight to me.
+1

A significant part of councils putting in any pedestrianisation or such - they talk to groups of senior citizens, the disabled, and the blind. And guess what their response to the prospect of nobbers knocking them over is!

Hence the cycling prohibitions.

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...cyclists_who_break_law_in_Bolton_town_centre/
well the first person who was fined was given the fpn JUST for cycling in the square.. ( or told to attend the awareness course).

As I say, I'm not impressed by this, because at no point did it say he was being dangerous and what the council SHOULD do is stick a cycle route in.. It's perfectly safe to cycle around there and bizarrely as a pedestrian, you CAN have cars come up in this area IF they have the right permit ( or qualify for access)..

*obviously* anyone being an idiot should be told off.... but as a quite often pedestrian in this area, I'd prefer them to be doing yet another clamp down on stupid drivers...

AND, as someone who used to walk my bike across this zone, you'd be hard pressed to see the signs, the 'no cars' ones are obvious, but the no cycling aren't on all entrances and are small.. So not surprised the bloke who got done wasn't aware. ( no excuse I know).

Amanda P

Legendary Member
....what the council SHOULD do is stick a cycle route in.. It's perfectly safe to cycle around there...

Perhaps you should mention this to them? They may genuinely not have thought of it.

Go to planning meetings. Write letters. See if there's a local cycling group who agree with you, and who'll get together and get things changed.

It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.

Top Bottom