Stupid local authority and the threat to humanity from cyclists.. (apparently)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

I think operations like that are a good thing, cyclists who duck and dive all over the place are a danger to themselves, other cyclists and also pedestrians. The worst is when they fly off of the pavement into your path without warning, and vica verse. It sounds as though the operation was focused on safety too; they gave out vests and offered courses.
Also, I've found the police to be very reasonable in my encounters (outside cadets) with them. When I first got my bike (10 months ago) I had no reflectors, lights, helmet or high vis (all of which I like to have with me) and so when I went out for a test ride I was on the pavement. I was stopped once for matching a description of a wanted person, I was promptly let go after a chat. The second time I was stopped on my ride, I had met an elderly gent coming round a tight corner on a pavement and he moved into the road to get around me before I could dismount, the Sergeant who saw it had words with me and advised that he could fine me £80. I told him I'd be in the road from then and I have been.

Lanzecki

Über Member
I wonder how many cyclists passed the 'crack down' without being stopped as they were not breaking the law?

I thought the newspaper article was quite balanced.

Top Bottom