"stupid lorry driver"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxyoKxT1iDs
not my vid, just one that came up as a related video on something I favourited.

It appears to me, from the very limited info on view that the driver was going too fast, and too close to the biker who was slowing for a changing light.

One of the commentors suggests that there may not have been time to safely stop if he had a heavy load. Surely that means he should have been driving to accomodate that?

Anyway, I found it an interesting video

downfader said:
One of the commentors suggests that there may not have been time to safely stop if he had a heavy load. Surely that means he should have been driving to accomodate that?

Indeed. This argument is used regularly. A variation of this has been used recently on my coach driver video. A bus driver has said, 'don't you know how much room a coach needs!' He is saying this suggesting that I should be further over to the left to allow the coach more room on his pass. he completely misses the point that the coach driver should be driving in a way that takes into account his size and space requirements and still does not impede other road users, i.e. he could wait 10 seconds until it is safe to pass.

Everyone wants to drive as if they are driving a clio! :wacko:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
magnatom said:
Indeed. This argument is used regularly. A variation of this has been used recently on my coach driver video. A bus driver has said, 'don't you know how much room a coach needs!' He is saying this suggesting that I should be further over to the left to allow the coach more room on his pass. he completely misses the point that the coach driver should be driving in a way that takes into account his size and space requirements and still does not impede other road users, i.e. he could wait 10 seconds until it is safe to pass.

Everyone wants to drive as if they are driving a clio! :wacko:

I pretty much know that old argument to be false as I know drivers who've been in HGVs, and I've spoken to some drivers online (here included). I'm always willing to accept that I can be proved wrong, however.

I always keep a look out behind when stopped at lights as I have heard too many stories of this happening and seen it as well.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I don't know if its true or not but I've heard that some owner drivers will do anything to avoid having to brake/ accelerate to save on costs

There's nothing wrong with that philosophy. I do it when I drive and I do it when I cycle commute. Being efficient and not wasting your valuable energy is sensible.

Yes, there are poor drivers out there, but from my experience, lorry/truck drivers are the most considerate. Still, this was a poor manoeuvre.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The techniques such as engine braking are quite a bit more common with larger vehicle users I gather than smaller commuter based. Theres a lot to be gained from controlling speed through the engine (or the pedalling even).

GrasB

Veteran
Now the couldn't stop safely may be an argument if you just go through on the red & the amber stage is short but in that clip the lorry driver has had 3.5s to react & if he can't stop in that time frame then he's driving to fast for the road conditions.

downfader said:
The techniques such as engine braking are quite a bit more common with larger vehicle users I gather than smaller commuter based. Theres a lot to be gained from controlling speed through the engine (or the pedalling even).
With engined vehicles engine braking, used as complementary source of retardation when using the brakes, is good even in smaller vehicles. Generally it means that you're in the correct gear come time to accelerate & thus don't unbalance the vehicle unduly in the transition from braking to momentum holding/acceleration (this is one area that I disagree with Roadcraft/RoSPA/IAM advanced driving). Not only that but being in the correct gear for deceleration with a FWD or AWD car allows you to brake far harder without locking up until the engine stalls (which is at low speed when most of the speed has been scrubbed off anyway).

It wa s long time ago when I did my driving test/lessons but i distinctly remember being told to be aware of upcoming potential hazards (eg; pedestrian crossings, blind bends etc.) and be prepared to stop if necessary (ie: moderate your speed/take account of your breaking distances). It's not just basic sense, it's your legal obligation.

I accept the point that there are many curteous lorry drivers (as indeed car drivers) but this sort of driving really winds me up - and quite frankly will result in death - sooner or later - to a innocent pedestrian, cyclist or other motor driver.

Top Bottom