Stupid people ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

That's fine, but by then most of the damage has been done. If you visit a website, FB will pick up the cookies from where you've been in that browsing session. While you're on FB it's tracking what ads you're reading. Not just ads, but "Suggested for you" posts. It's tracking how long you spend looking at different posts (especially the paid advertisers). Even if you don't click on one it knows if you paused scrolling for a few seconds to look at it, so it attracted your attention. Whether you're using a mobile device or a PC, it's linking all that stuff with anything else it can glean from that device. How careful are you with what permissions you've given various apps? I'm sure you would be horrified with what these companies already know about you. I'm not just singling out FB here, Google are just as bad possibly worse. If you've got an Android phone you've probably given google the keys to your kingdom. I won't have an Android phone and I won't have Alexa or similar voice assistants in the house.

Even cyclechat insists on some mysterious (to me) third party permissions in order to work its wonders. Can anyone point me at a bit of here which in clear language tells us what it's collecting? I happen to know that those in power have snooped on IP addresses to "wonder" about relationships.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I think the news info reliability goes

BBC
Twitter
Facebook
CycleChat..🤣🤣🤣l
I take offensive (I know I shouldn't but I do) to Twitter, I think it's completely wrong of the Government & it's MP's are allowed to use it, especially to make announcements, I understand it even less than I understand FB.

Petrichorwheels

I take offensive (I know I shouldn't but I do) to Twitter, I think it's completely wrong of the Government & it's MP's are allowed to use it, especially to make announcements, I understand it even less than I understand FB.

Agree - but I fear too too much has become twatter focussed.
some seem to quote it/bits of it on here as if it's holy gospel.
Complete with "definitions" of stuff here today gone tomorrow in a twatter dump.
Look on the bright side though phaeton - we may have passed peak twatter.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Even cyclechat insists on some mysterious (to me) third party permissions in order to work its wonders. Can anyone point me at a bit of here which in clear language tells us what it's collecting? I happen to know that those in power have snooped on IP addresses to "wonder" about relationships.
Mod Note:
Cycle Chat places cookies on your browser, so that you can start browsing the site where you left off.
Show threads/posts wouldn't work without cookies, for example, or continuing reading a thread after logging off.
The mods do not snoop on IP addresses: we check them on registration to sift would be spammers, usually spammers come from specific countries.
However, there would be another reason why we would look at an IP address: to sift out forum troublemakers, those are harder to identify, they could come from anywhere :excl:

Top Bottom