Stupid people ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

I never keep cookies, they are deleted when I close the browser.

That's fine, but by then most of the damage has been done. If you visit a website, FB will pick up the cookies from where you've been in that browsing session. While you're on FB it's tracking what ads you're reading. Not just ads, but "Suggested for you" posts. It's tracking how long you spend looking at different posts (especially the paid advertisers). Even if you don't click on one it knows if you paused scrolling for a few seconds to look at it, so it attracted your attention. Whether you're using a mobile device or a PC, it's linking all that stuff with anything else it can glean from that device. How careful are you with what permissions you've given various apps? I'm sure you would be horrified with what these companies already know about you. I'm not just singling out FB here, Google are just as bad possibly worse. If you've got an Android phone you've probably given google the keys to your kingdom. I won't have an Android phone and I won't have Alexa or similar voice assistants in the house.

D

Deleted member 1258

That's fine, but by then most of the damage has been done. If you visit a website, FB will pick up the cookies from where you've been in that browsing session. While you're on FB it's tracking what ads you're reading. Not just ads, but "Suggested for you" posts. It's tracking how long you spend looking at different posts (especially the paid advertisers). Even if you don't click on one it knows if you paused scrolling for a few seconds to look at it, so it attracted your attention. Whether you're using a mobile device or a PC, it's linking all that stuff with anything else it can glean from that device. How careful are you with what permissions you've given various apps? I'm sure you would be horrified with what these companies already know about you. I'm not just singling out FB here, Google are just as bad possibly worse. If you've got an Android phone you've probably given google the keys to your kingdom. I won't have an Android phone and I won't have Alexa or similar voice assistants in the house.

I give apps the minimum permissions I need to use them, and with both Facebook and Google I turn of as much of the ad stuff as I can in the settings, I see hardly any ads, I haven't managed to turn off suggested for you yet but if I can work out how I will.

Petrichorwheels

Because it excludes a great deal of people from key information. Why would you want people to sign up to a service whose sole purpose is to track everything about you and your friends / family; that is full of misinformation and falsehoods, just so people can find out key community information.

Imagine the only way you could read anything about Covid-19 was Facebook. It’s be a nightmare.

I could never understand why folk would say yes to signing up to various other services or web pages via a facebook click.
Why o why?
Convenient for who?
seemed clear it was convenient/profitable for facebook?
I commend duck email addresses.
randomly generated (you can also have personal ones), remove trackers as they forward your mail to a more guarded one.

Petrichorwheels

I think the news info reliability goes

BBC
Twitter
Facebook
CycleChat..🤣🤣🤣l

somewhat surprised to see twatter so high, unless you get a buzz out of anger.
cchat news (not main bit) a good anger fix I think.

I do tend to use the beeb as a point of first call, then range freely.
Have even been known to read bits of The Daily Mail, though not buy.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
remember Cambridge Anal?

:ohmy:

Doesn't sound like the kind of encounter easily forgotten!

icowden

Veteran
its staggering sometimes, you just can't help them. Internet, FB etc, scam adverts and people falling for them.
Friends of our have just ordered 2x scooters...from America, for £30 each, advertised on Fb.
1. Why would you buy something from America that you can buy here ?
2. Do people not think 'if its too good to be true....'
3. Surely everyone knows nowadays to tread carefully on the Internet.
4. No thought it might need import taxes paying and how much ? (Assuming it was genuine)
Not everyone is aware of the above at all. I recently had a detailed conversation with my oldest daughter (age 16). Despite loads of online safety and awareness sessions, she was very keen to buy a supersized reversible octopus plushie as advertised on TikTok.

She had found a website where it was available for $14 which she thought was reasonable. The website looked very genuine, was well laid out, and other products (although not many) were available.

So I talked through the economics of it. How is this vendor going to get a supersized plushy and post it from the USA to the UK for only $14.99 and make any profit? Then we looked at all the sites we could find which had this plushy for sale. Two sites by the same person selling for $14.99 and one site selling for £120.

"But it's only $14.99"
"Well if you want to take the risk and never see your money again, that's up to you. "

I then pointed out the risk of import duty being levied.
She then did some of her own investigation and noticed that in all of the different tiktok accounts advertising or using the plushy, it was always being held by the same woman. She found another video which showed just how small this woman was in real life.

Slowly she has come to the realisation that this is a scam. I also found some articles talking about the Tiktok super sized plushy scam.

So no, there are plenty of people that can be taken in by a well orchestrated scam.

Top Bottom