Stupid undertake this morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I was cycling along this morning, minding my own business and obeying all the rules - you know the usual Wednesday morning stuff!

I had just gone straight over at a junction where there is one lane for left and one lane for straight on - I was going straight on so was in the straight on lane. These are very small lanes and the cars turning left have a habit of pulling out into the right so it's a bit cramped for all the cars going straight on and I was the only one in the lane anyway.

Just after I do my straight on bit I have to turn right so I tend to keep over to the right and start signalling nice and early. I checked behind me and I could see a 4X4 quite a long way back so kept over to the right and stuck my arm out - nice and clear and straight - you could have hung your washing on it!

Anyway, I am just a few feet away from the right turn (still signalling) when I feel the 4X4 (BMW X5) rush past me on the inside (where there really wasn't enough room to do it safely) to get past. Okay thinks me - bit stupid and gave me a bit of a wobble but fair enough - I'll get over it! Next thing I know the 4X4 is cutting up in front of me TO TURN RIGHT - directly in front!

I couldn't believe it - slammed on the brakes to avoid going into said 4X4 and turned right myself - stupid 4X4 then had to wait at the end of road for the traffic (for a change) and I was at this point on the pavement on the other side of the road (before you all start - off the bike I have to get off to cross the Hagley Road on the crossing - not pavement cycling at all!!!!) shouting at her that she was a stupid cow and what did she think she was doing - lots of "Oi's" from me but complete blanks from her!

I was so angry - god I wish I had had a helmet camera - I don't understand where people get off on manoeuvrers like this!

I know you are not supposed to "loose it" at the side of the road and all that but hopefully seeing me (albeit out of the corner of her eye) ranting and raving will make her think a tiny bit before doing it again - although probably not as BMW x5's and thinking don't usually go together! :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once again another black (bmw) 4x4 driven by a woman* who has the road sense of frightened rabbit.

* sorry for the stereotyping, but the majority of my bad experiences with 4x4's are driven by women. However I do acknowledge that the male of the species who also drive such machines are also more often then not bully's on the road.

Maz

Guru
Sounds nasty, TRC. Glad you're OK.
You're from brum aren't you? Is the traffic mental on your commute?

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Yup - the traffic is mental. I have been knocked off twice recently and keep changing my route to try and go on quieter roads but my route keeps getting longer and longer and not actually any better.

There is definately a "must overtake" mentality and I have found in the last couple of years that drivers are taking more and more risks around me.

I so wish there could be a short government campaign in advertising to inform drivers what is and isn't legal for us to do. I genuinely think that a lot of them think we are not allowed to ride on the road etc etc.

I very occasionally take the Hagley Road because it is my quickest route home and I feel like I am taking my life into my own hands on here.

Birmingham is a big city and very busy and I can't see things getting any better and I am not a massively rushed or aggressive cyclist in any way - quite happy to wait in queues etc but at least once a week something like this happens!

Maz

Guru
the reluctant cyclist said:
...I very occasionally take the Hagley Road because it is my quickest route home and I feel like I am taking my life into my own hands on here...
You're not kidding. I'm scared to even drive on that road.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Eat MY Dust said:
lol, it's funny that. I've even knocked on car windows in the past to try and have a word with foolish drivers and they haven't noticed me!!

It happens even when you aren't having a go - I had the devil of a job persuading one lady not to drive off with no lights on back in the dark nights.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Volvo with old couples in tend to be one of my bugbears.

2 days ago. I'm turning right from a minor road onto a major road. I can see that 15 yards away theres a parked car I'll have to pass and another 20 yards on theres a central traffic island.

So as I'm waiting for a gap to pull out, 2ft from the centreline, Mr Volvo pulls up to the stop/give way line at my left, indicating right :thumbsup: :smile: (this kinda gives me a different indication....)

I pulled away fast and assumed a road position suitable to pass the parked car. Got past the car, pulled back into a primary ready for the island to find Mr Volvos bonnet is now starting to pass my RHS, with the island looming.

Checked there was nothing coming and strengthened the primary by moving further out. . .

He backed off, but shouldn't have put me in that situation in the first place.
;)

That was when I noticed the yoof, on the pavement, on a hybrid that wanted to race....:?: :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Eat MY Dust said:
lol, it's funny that. I've even knocked on car windows in the past to try and have a word with foolish drivers and they haven't noticed me!!

Try knocking while wearing an armoured gauntlet, preferably with diamond tipped studs on the knuckle. Or when you happen to be carrying that big adjustable spanner you need for your wheel nuts...:tongue:

Tynan

Veteran
sounds shitty

I have two junctions where being passed on the inside where drivers used the left hand turn to get a quick getaway is a regular thing

anyone passing a cyclist on the inside from the left hand turn lane should lose their licence, it's that unecessary and dangerous

Cab

John the Monkey said:
It happens even when you aren't having a go - I had the devil of a job persuading one lady not to drive off with no lights on back in the dark nights.

I remember one particular one sided conversation.

Gentle knock on window. Glanced, then blanked me, looking resolutely forward. Another gentle knock, followed by "Oi, mate" and the 'wind your window down' movement, still blanked, so "Your back tyres going flat, back right tyre, you're losing air, do you know? You want to sort that out, yeah?"... still blanked, so shrugged and cycled off.

MER Veteran

Where's BentMikey?

The judges decision is final.
2j69xg6.jpg

the reluctant cyclist said:
Anyway, I am just a few feet away from the right turn (still signalling) when I feel the 4X4 (BMW X5) rush past me on the inside (where there really wasn't enough room to do it safely) to get past. Okay thinks me - bit stupid and gave me a bit of a wobble but fair enough - I'll get over it! Next thing I know the 4X4 is cutting up in front of me TO TURN RIGHT - directly in front!

If it makes you feel any better, TRC, it's not only cyclists that people do this to. I've lost count of the number of times my lorry's been overtaken by some goon who almost instantly decides he needs to turn right, failing to allow for 44 tonnes of artic three feet behind him ...:biggrin:
Commiserations though. At least you weren't hurt.

redjedi

Über Member
I had my first experience of an undertake this this morning.

I was approaching a roundabout, so I signal right and moved into the right hand lane. When I get to the roundabout, I stop in primary as there are cars entering it from the right.
As I'm waiting an old Honda pulls up, with diy tinted windows, on my left. I look as I'm not sure which lane he's supposed to be in. (there are only 2 lanes, one for left, one for right). I tried to make eye contact, but I couldn't even see the driver through his tint.
As I pull away, I knew to watch out for him, but as I had accelerated faster than him, I hoped he would pull in behind me and wait until I had cleared the RDBT.

Did he f*%$. The next thing I see is his car about 5 inches from my right handlebar, and not going any faster than me. Luckily I had predicted he would do something stupid, as I normally just sweep through to the cycle lane on the other side, and I slowed a little to let him undertake me. All the time I was trying to give him a stare, while trying to stop my momentum from taking me into the side of his car.

I caught up with him a few meters further down at the next RDBT, and I was all ready to have a go at him, but he pulled away before I stopped.

In hindsight it was probably good that I didn't catch up with him, as I thought about what type of person would be driving an old honda with DIY tints, in west london. Perhaps not the type of person I would want to have an argument with.

I don't normally get worked up about things like this, I'm as laid back as they come, but this was the first time I was prepared to confront a driver.

Top Bottom