Stupid xxxxing xxxxxxxxx seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onlyhuman

Hi,

The "Post Moderne" suspension seatpost has been fitted since my Trek Multitrack was new. It has been seized in the seat tube for some time, and now the moving parts have deteriorated and the seat waggles so I want to remove the "Post Moderne" and fit a standard seat post.

I have the bike inverted with the seat post clamped in a vice. I can twist the frame, so that the bike moves and the seat post stays still. In other words, it is free to rotate in the tube, albeit it takes a bit of force to move it. But it won't come out of the tube, no matter how I twist and heave. I thought once I had broken the attachment between the post and the tube, I had won, but it seems not.

There appears to be some kind of sleeve around the post, as shown in the following CAD drawing:

i i
i i
i i
!¦i i¦!
! i i !
! i i !

i = seatpost
¦ = sleeve
! = seat tube

Any suggestions welcome.

SimonC

Stuck seatposts are a major pain in the arse, you will be sure to get all kinds of replies on here.

I think the top and bottom of it is you need more force. Get the seat post clamped in a vice. Get hold of the frame and twist it and pull it at the same time, very hard. Then a bit harder.

peanut

don't worry if you can twist the post its not badly stuck and you will get it out without causing damage to the bike but you must be carefull. From what you describe it sounds like you have a short metal bush fitted to take up a gap between the seatpost and frame tube because the seatpost is the wrong size for the frame.

To save lots of typing read what Sheldon Brown says about this problem here . He was (rip) the guru on all matters cycling.
15 ways to remove a stuck seatpost
http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

It's out!

Thanks for the encouragement: after prolonged waggling and heaving the seat post finally surrendered. I am too exhausted to ride the bike, and am going for a lie down.

Top Bottom