Stupidly expensive small components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You know, Ringlė Mojos, EAI Superstar cogs, anything made by Paul's. The more unremarkable to look at, the better.

To kick off, here are some Dura-Ace track nuts. They cost 4x more than Miche track nuts. It's not clear why. At least they are half the price of Campag track nuts, which are expensive because they use a unique thread...but these are just M10 x 1. There is an urban myth that DA nuts are stainless steel but they are not.

51086069086_e72f7a8f61_z.jpg 20210331_153148 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Maybe the extra cost is the unnecessary use of the word 'track' that precedes the word 'nut'.

Maybe the extra cost is the unnecessary use of the word 'track' that precedes the word 'nut'.

To be fair, you do have to tighten the wheel nuts on a fixed gear bike f*****g tight. It's possible some designs resist loosening better than others- I would willingly pay a premium for that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both Campag and Shimano have a reputation to maintain with their high end products so on the upside you can be sure the quality is tops and therefore reliability and performance is assured.
I know you're posting from Scotland and I feel your pain :whistle:. Imagine how it is for a Yorkshire man and their cry of ''Ow much!!'.

25-30Nm does it for me (unchromed dropouts, though).

I tighten about as hard as I can by hand with one of those long pedal spanners with the blue plastic handles. The chain still goes slack after a few rides. Forward facing unchromed dropouts, if that is relevant.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Both Campag and Shimano have a reputation to maintain with their high end products so on the upside you can be sure the quality is tops and therefore reliability and performance is assured.
I know you're posting from Scotland and I feel your pain :whistle:. Imagine how it is for a Yorkshire man and their cry of ''Ow much!!'.

Just wait until you tell them that for a mere 2 grand, they can dispense with their front derailleur....

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I tighten about as hard as I can by hand with one of those long pedal spanners with the blue plastic handles. The chain still goes slack after a few rides. Forward facing unchromed dropouts, if that is relevant.
IME a fixie chain needs tightening about every 150 miles if used in all weathers. That's about 1/128" elongation per foot.

Top Bottom