Sturme-Archer Demo piece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KoffMixtures

One of my projects this coming winter is to overhaul several S-A AW hubs.

Out of the heap I have there will no doubt be some 'scrappage' from which I'd like to derive a working demonstrator for my own amusement.
It is obvious just cutting windows out of the outer case will not reveal much of the operating mechanism, as it is enclosed in the various internal housings.

It would be a tremendous help to see something similar; can't believe it hasn't been done before sometime during the last 100 years.

Any help would be welcome.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Somewhere on the tube of you there’s an animated video of the workings of an SA hub.

I’ve overhauled several of them, it’s a fascinating and rewarding experience.

I'm hoping to 'have a go' at a SA hub one day, but only one that's actually broken.
I have several SA 3-speeds on bikes here and in the UK, and have a few more spare ones, but none that are in need of a strip and overhaul.
People joke about the AW meaning 'Always Works', and I'm inclined to think it true.
Seems strange to be wishing for something to break just so I can have a go at fixing it :wacko:

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Thanks for the responses, guys.

In their heyday (mid 1950's) S-A / Raleigh had such confidence in these products they promised a lifetime guarantee!

The AW hub was the longest model in production and properly adjusted and lubricated they are famous for reliability. Literally millions were made.

Other models came and went, with their attendant problems and issues.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The only challenge I have had with the half dozen or so I've serviced is sticky pawls, jammed up with fifty year old grease. As you say they are remarkably reliable. What fascinates me about them is how they came up with the design in the first place, no pooters in those days.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The only challenge I have had with the half dozen or so I've serviced is sticky pawls, jammed up with fifty year old grease. As you say they are remarkably reliable. What fascinates me about them is how they came up with the design in the first place, no pooters in those days.

They simplified the 'K' series hub to make it as cheap as possible.

They simplified the 'K' series hub to make it as cheap as possible.

while at the same time seemingly making a much stronger hub. It is surprising how few K series hubs have survived relative to the AW.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The weak point of the AW is the use of extended planet pins to take the drive in high gear. The extensions are small in diameter, and the pins are a fairly loose fit in the planet cage. This means the pins and the clutch wear out under load and the pins lean in their bores, meaning the hub can squirm out of high gear and into a neutral position. Never do a standing sprint on an AW in high gear, and fit a new clutch and pins to a well-used one.

The later "N.I.G." AW can't slip but has other problems and is best avoided IMO.

The AM medium-ratio hub has proper dogs on the planet cage to engage with the clutch, and is a better design. Just avoid the early 1930s hubs, as they suffer from the clutch slipping in the gear ring - fixed after WWII with continuous gear ring splines.

AW and AM parts are all interchangeable, except the planetary gears themselves. I always convert AMs to use the AW single toggle chain and threaded axle key.

Last edited:
Top Bottom