Sturme-Archer Demo piece

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
while at the same time seemingly making a much stronger hub. It is surprising how few K series hubs have survived relative to the AW.

The AW replaced the K series in 1938 and remained in production in unmodified form until 2000. A modified AW is still made today.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Gonna give a shout out, if I may, to that other SA gem of engineering - the humble trigger shifter.
Think its been around as long as the AW hub, and seems to be just as bomb proof :notworthy:
Sunrace SA keep trying to reinvent the wheel with new types of shifter but the trigger has always been best as it flicks across the false neutral(s) with little risk of sticking on one. The S3X bar-end shifter was stupid given the hub's two false neutrals...on a fixed gear. What could possibly go wrong?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
This is the only three speed shifter you want.

IMG_3816.jpeg

This is the only three speed shifter you want.

View attachment 707259

I think the mods ought to ban images of such lethal weapons.

GuyBoden

Guru
This seems like an interesting winter project, but what frame O.L.D is needed for a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub?

Sheldon Brown
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/153608-axle-spacing-sturmey-archer-aw.html
"Most Sturmey-Archer hub installations are around 114 mm spacing.

The axles generally came in either short (5 3/4") or long (6 1/4") sizes. The longer size will generally work on a 120 mm frame, just add enough spacer washers to fill up the space.

Beyond 120, with typical 6 mm thick dropouts, it gets pretty dodgy.

If you don't already have them, you should pick up a pair of the HMW494 axle washers designed to fit the wider dropout slots."

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think the modern AW can be had with a 175mm axle for 135mm spacing.

Basically, you need 10mm outside each dropout for the washers and nuts. This is a bare minimum, so use a torque wrench and try 20Nm. If the wheel creeps, try 25Nm, but no more.

I have a 5 3/4" axled AM in a nominal 120mm spacing but I cheated and made the OLD 118mm. Been running it like that for 15 years.

I have two 6 1/4" axled AMs. They are vanishingly rare, but much more versatile.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Top Bottom