Sturmey Archer 3 speed problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Our lodger is trying to fix up an old Peugeot bicycle for his girlfriend - looks like possibly 1970s, nice shiny chrome rims and very shiny chrome Sturmey Archer hub, unfortunately on reassembling it the threaded connector/adjuster for the gears that comes out of the hub has snapped. Since I haven't had a three-speed since about 1972 (when I was 12) I don't have much idea about how to fix it, or what part it needs.
I am sure there is someone on here who knows far more than me about these things!

iluvmybike

Über Member
He needs a 3spd Sturmey Archer toggle chain - easily got for less than a fiver. The chain part will unscrew from the hub. When the new one is screwed in make sure it doens't get overtightened. The little knurled nut of the bit being held in the photo will also unscrew. Once new one is fitted g follow instructions here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvR0S6lHJ4Q

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Great, thanks for the quick reply - looked online, and yes less than £4! With just that and some new gear and brake cable inners and outers it will be a nice little retro bike - after one afternoon of cleaning it already looks nice!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When you do get a new un check the rod is the same length, there are some variations for different hubs. Also when you screw the new rod in tighten it until it bottoms on the internal thread then undo it slightly to line it up with the cable run it's only a tiny thread and forcing it any tighter will snap the tiny threaded part off scrapping the hub, the rod doesn't need to be tight as nothing rotates and the little chain and cable keep it fixed in position so it can't come any looser you just need as many threads engaged as possible without putting any unnecessary stress on it.

BTW it's better to have to undo it almost one whole turn than have it at a slight misalignment to the cable run.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would be very surprised if it was anything other than a 3-speed AW model hub, in which case the gear selector plungers are cheap and easily obtained. Always check the hub though, because I was given a ratty unidentified womens 3-speed recently and when I stripped it down for parts the rear hub turned out to be a rare 4-speed FW model made in 1951, which uses a different selector plunger to the AW.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There are different lengths depending on axle width (generally 5 3/4" or 6 1/4" for older hubs). If you have a 6 1/4" axle and buy the short toggle, it will work but you will need to adjust by feel rather than by eye. Get the "neutral" exactly halfway between 2 and 3 (normal and high gear, technically) and it will be right.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
There are different lengths depending on axle width (generally 5 3/4" or 6 1/4" for older hubs). If you have a 6 1/4" axle and buy the short toggle, it will work but you will need to adjust by feel rather than by eye. Get the "neutral" exactly halfway between 2 and 3 (normal and high gear, technically) and it will be right.
That's how I used to adjust all of ours (Chopper, Grifter, shopper).
And a few neighbours bikes as well.
As Raleighnut said wind it right in then undo it to line it up. Then adjust using the knurled bit with the thread on the cable.
Test ride and enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Update - lodger had several other bits to buy, so waited until he got paid and ordered the parts. Unfortunately he ordered a "Universal fit" toggle chain which turned out to be for a Mk VIII, and by checking with Sheldon Brown I established his was actually a MK I. Ordered the correct one from SJS which finally arrived today. Following the YouTube video above all fitted and correctly operational in about five minutes.
Thanks all - an old unwanted/unused bike has been brought back to life, and the lodgers have become enthused with cycling, he has bought himself a secondhand single speed, I have loaned them a trailer for their dog, and they are both out and about on bikes for the first time since they were at school.

Top Bottom