Sturmey Archer FM or FC or AF hub...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Hi, I'm not looking to dismantle it as it's my pride and joy, but I've got a circa WW2 Royal Sunbeam with an AF 4 speed hub, although it's is fitted with a 3 speed quadrant changer and I've never tried it with a 4 speed changer, (did they ever do 4 speed quadrants?) My guess is that they may have stuck whatever hub they had left over onto it due to war shortages, as the close ratio is a bit limiting with those big 28 inch wheels to turn after a hill or two. What do you think the value of such a hub is? ( bearing in mind that the external moving parts have been sealed inside the oil bath with the chain, which looks like new)
I have been able to find very few references to these hubs and I am curious. Cheers.

The AF was the original close-ratio 4-speed, replaced by the FC after WWII. AFs are valuable and have some pedigree; Tommy Godwin used one for his annual mileage record. In terms of efficiency they're no great shakes, being a 2-stage epicyclic (one feeds the other in certain gears). An AM is a lot more efficient.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Nice one,..... :smile: I am using the AM most weeks on my Moulton and it is about right for our lumpy ish tt courses, I think a close 3 or 4 would be not paractical for my abilities tbh.

I have 53x12 on mine which gives 61 71 82 inches.... nearly stalled out on a short steep climb in a tt last week but the hub is pretty good for racing on. Perhaps for a stronger rider the close ratio ones would be great.

I have an FM that needs building into a wheel, probably to go on my Mike Morris lopro next season, it has track ends so it'll all work properly. It will be interesting to see how many carbon fibre tt bikes are beaten by a 4 speed 501 framed thing :becool: .

btw Just entered the Welsh 100 tt , using the Moulton :biggrin:

Top Bottom