Sturmey Archer FM or FC or AF hub...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

ie close or medium ratio 4 speed, 36 hole preferred as going on a Moulton [ 16 inch wheels ] ... I race it so a wide is hopeless... I know they are fairly expensive so will pay a sensible amount, I bought one on ebaay for 50 quid but it turned out to be duff, so I thought I would spread my net further :biggrin:

Cheers, Steve .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bonk man said:
ie close or medium ratio 4 speed, 36 hole preferred as going on a Moulton [ 16 inch wheels ] ... I race it so a wide is hopeless... I know they are fairly expensive so will pay a sensible amount, I bought one on ebaay for 50 quid but it turned out to be duff, so I thought I would spread my net further :biggrin:

Cheers, Steve .

rogerzilla here or most notably over at yacf id the nearest thing to a Sturmey Archer anorak guru, you'll find. Should be able to help.

bagpuss

Guru
One for the bike shops in Derby still repairs, services SA hubs.I dare says they could repair yours .Their t/p number is 01332 344193. I paid aboput £20.00 to get my 4 speed serviced

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Cheers Bagpuss, I have acquired a 3 speed medium that is working ok...
The one I got on ebbbay was pretty worn out and needed a bit more than a couple of pawl springs:biggrin:... it had also been tampered with... bits were not what they were supposed to be.....
Steve.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

The AF is a medium 4 speed hub that came before the FM.. confused.. you will be :biggrin:

I was just reading about the AM and other S/A hubs and rattleyness... particularly on the Moulton?? :sad: The little wheels with high pressure tyres make any looseness [ the pawls are mostly responsible ] in the hub more audible .. the only cure is ignore it if you don't intend riding soft tyres or filling the hub with grease..[ not recommended :laugh: ]

bagpuss

Guru
Interesting.I can find no details in my master catalogue for the AF hub.Do you know what year it was made? {I know I really ought to get out more}.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

AF close ratio 4 speed hub,,,, about 1940, 9.1 increase direct 10 and 25% decrease. Patent Feb 1939. AF because it was a 3 speed close with extra low gear for "the bad pimples"

I suspect these hubs are extremely rare. ...

Speed With Ease the advert said... hmmmmmm been out on a bike with a Shturmy today, not too much speed going on :wacko:

mattsccm

there is a cycle recycle place in Ross on wye that had a few last time I looked. sorry but no idea of name

geostorm

sturmey archer

Hi seen your request if still interested i have a sprinter 7 on mach1 700c, i realy need now similar on 26"

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

I now have the AM that seems to be doing the job ok, I also found an FM hub in a box of junk in the shed [ left over from when I was collecting bikes from the tip :biggrin: ] so that might get utilised sometime ..
So for the moment I am sorted, unless you have a 60 tooth 130 bcd chain ring to hand ;) cause I need one of those .

biscuitthief

AF close ratio 4 speed hub,,,, about 1940, 9.1 increase direct 10 and 25% decrease. Patent Feb 1939. AF because it was a 3 speed close with extra low gear for "the bad pimples"

I suspect these hubs are extremely rare. ...

Speed With Ease the advert said... hmmmmmm been out on a bike with a Shturmy today, not too much speed going on :wacko:

Hi, I'm not looking to dismantle it as it's my pride and joy, but I've got a circa WW2 Royal Sunbeam with an AF 4 speed hub, although it's is fitted with a 3 speed quadrant changer and I've never tried it with a 4 speed changer, (did they ever do 4 speed quadrants?) My guess is that they may have stuck whatever hub they had left over onto it due to war shortages, as the close ratio is a bit limiting with those big 28 inch wheels to turn after a hill or two. What do you think the value of such a hub is? ( bearing in mind that the external moving parts have been sealed inside the oil bath with the chain, which looks like new)
I have been able to find very few references to these hubs and I am curious. Cheers.

Top Bottom