Sturmey Archer FM or FC or AF hub...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

ie close or medium ratio 4 speed, 36 hole preferred as going on a Moulton [ 16 inch wheels ] ... I race it so a wide is hopeless... I know they are fairly expensive so will pay a sensible amount, I bought one on ebaay for 50 quid but it turned out to be duff, so I thought I would spread my net further :biggrin:

Cheers, Steve .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bonk man said:
ie close or medium ratio 4 speed, 36 hole preferred as going on a Moulton [ 16 inch wheels ] ... I race it so a wide is hopeless... I know they are fairly expensive so will pay a sensible amount, I bought one on ebaay for 50 quid but it turned out to be duff, so I thought I would spread my net further :biggrin:

Cheers, Steve .

rogerzilla here or most notably over at yacf id the nearest thing to a Sturmey Archer anorak guru, you'll find. Should be able to help.

One for the bike shops in Derby still repairs, services SA hubs.I dare says they could repair yours .Their t/p number is 01332 344193. I paid aboput £20.00 to get my 4 speed serviced

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Cheers Bagpuss, I have acquired a 3 speed medium that is working ok...
The one I got on ebbbay was pretty worn out and needed a bit more than a couple of pawl springs:biggrin:... it had also been tampered with... bits were not what they were supposed to be.....
Steve.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

The AF is a medium 4 speed hub that came before the FM.. confused.. you will be :biggrin:

I was just reading about the AM and other S/A hubs and rattleyness... particularly on the Moulton?? :sad: The little wheels with high pressure tyres make any looseness [ the pawls are mostly responsible ] in the hub more audible .. the only cure is ignore it if you don't intend riding soft tyres or filling the hub with grease..[ not recommended :laugh: ]

Interesting.I can find no details in my master catalogue for the AF hub.Do you know what year it was made? {I know I really ought to get out more}.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

AF close ratio 4 speed hub,,,, about 1940, 9.1 increase direct 10 and 25% decrease. Patent Feb 1939. AF because it was a 3 speed close with extra low gear for "the bad pimples"

I suspect these hubs are extremely rare. ...

Speed With Ease the advert said... hmmmmmm been out on a bike with a Shturmy today, not too much speed going on :wacko:

mattsccm

there is a cycle recycle place in Ross on wye that had a few last time I looked. sorry but no idea of name

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Cheers, I will investigate that:smile:

We were in Ross on Sunday's club ride as it happens, nice town, apart from the Nazis:laugh:

geostorm

sturmey archer

Hi seen your request if still interested i have a sprinter 7 on mach1 700c, i realy need now similar on 26"

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

I now have the AM that seems to be doing the job ok, I also found an FM hub in a box of junk in the shed [ left over from when I was collecting bikes from the tip :biggrin: ] so that might get utilised sometime ..
So for the moment I am sorted, unless you have a 60 tooth 130 bcd chain ring to hand ;) cause I need one of those .

biscuitthief

AF close ratio 4 speed hub,,,, about 1940, 9.1 increase direct 10 and 25% decrease. Patent Feb 1939. AF because it was a 3 speed close with extra low gear for "the bad pimples"

I suspect these hubs are extremely rare. ...

Speed With Ease the advert said... hmmmmmm been out on a bike with a Shturmy today, not too much speed going on :wacko:

Hi, I'm not looking to dismantle it as it's my pride and joy, but I've got a circa WW2 Royal Sunbeam with an AF 4 speed hub, although it's is fitted with a 3 speed quadrant changer and I've never tried it with a 4 speed changer, (did they ever do 4 speed quadrants?) My guess is that they may have stuck whatever hub they had left over onto it due to war shortages, as the close ratio is a bit limiting with those big 28 inch wheels to turn after a hill or two. What do you think the value of such a hub is? ( bearing in mind that the external moving parts have been sealed inside the oil bath with the chain, which looks like new)
I have been able to find very few references to these hubs and I am curious. Cheers.

Top Bottom