Sturmey Archer hub & 3/32 chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is anyone running a Sturmey Archer Hub with 3/32 chain on a 3 ring chaining and front derailleur?

I am currently building myself another Tadpole trike and for this build I have decided to go with a Sturmey Archer X-RD8 8 speed hub on a 700c rim. However, 1/8 and 3/32 sprockets are an option for this hub.

The previous trikes I have built have all been 6 X 3= 18 speed free wheels on 3/32 chain and even with additional support sprockets and spring tensioners I really hate the extremely long and twist single chain runs that reduces ground clearance and just seems to flap about too much.

At the moment I have no intention of running a 2/3 ring chain ring up front. preferring to keep this trike as an 8 speed IGH tourer, but this could change and I am considering a two chain run via two chainrings one of which as intermediate sprocket with the 2nd chain down to the hub.

A mate of mine in essex is building a tadpole with an eight speed sa rear hub and a crank drive up front to make a simple solution for a touring e-trike

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
Whether I go for rear suspension on this trike or not, I now think I am definitely going for a two chain run. ... time to get pencil & paper out
With a 25T 5/32 sprocket on my SA X-RD8 hub a two chain run will be reasonably simple to design and to install, and it will negate the need for a figure of 8 chain twist therefore reducing the chance of slack chain slap, and it will give me the possibility of an 8x2 (16) driveline or even an easily installed 8x2x2 (32) drive line.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
I have been using various 3,4 & 5 speed SA IG hubs as intermediate "range" jack shafts driving 5 & 7 sp IGH's for 5 years now in much the same way as Chupacabra

I've even built a 3peed IGH halfway along the shaft of a Sussex shaft drive as set of High, intermediate and low ranges driving another 5 sp giving me 15 speed IGH set up.

Attachments

• img_0599.jpg
    img_0599.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Top Bottom