Sturmey Archer Hub Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
the stuff that HGF has linked to on the CTC forum is the best resource, Graham is a most helpful guy. I'm a bit of a chicken, depsite all his coaching and videos I still toddled along to my LBS for my first SA strip and rebuild practice.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
ASC1951 said:
Well, it's exactly that. They were quite popular for time trialling in the 50s and early 60s, before the derailleurs became widespread. The ratios on mine are 100%, 90%, 75%.

Because I'm only interested in function, not form. No-one makes a variable fixed hub nowadays, but there are lots of different types of triggers, so if a modern one works better I'm perfectly happy to use it. If the new owners of SA ever make a variable fixed, I'll buy one.
Thanks for that. I never knew such beasts were made. That's what I love about this forum, the knowledge to be gained is infinite.

ASC1951

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Thanks for that. I never knew such beasts were made. That's what I love about this forum, the knowledge to be gained is infinite.
I think 'beast' is right. :biggrin: They didn't really catch on, even though fixed for time trialling was popular. I gather many SA hubs have a bit of whiplash, but with the ASC it's a lot more noticeable.

Anyway, the late great Beryl Burton used to ride fixed. I might be old, slow and fat, but if it was good enough for her, it's good enough for me.

Britain's greatest woman athlete ever, IMO, not just cyclist. http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=2487 The stick of liquorice is a classic.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Just found this thread.

To address the questions in order:

1) Slippage in 1st on an AW usually indicates a pawl problem or a mis-assembled hub. The pawls don't really wear - they're massive by most standards - so it could be a broken "R" spring in the planet cage. Slightly tricky to replace; the internal unit doesn't need taking apart but there is a bit of a knack to getting the planet cage pawls installed (the gear ring pawls are simple). If you have a problem PM me, I've rebuilt loads of Sturmey hubs.

2) The ASC can be shifted with a 4-speed shifter, because under the hood it's an AF with a gear missing.

3) I like 75W90 GL4 gear oil, which is like 10W40 motor oil. Some repairers (e.g. Peter Read) recommend SAE30 single grade motor oil, sold for lawnmowers. You pays your money etc. The modern hubs don't retain oil well and really have to use the SA grease, more's the pity.

Top Bottom