Sturmey Archer (SunTour)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It looks like Sturmey Archer (or SunTour, whoever they truly are now) are quietly bringing out some interesting hubs.

I think I read on the Brompton webpage that they'd got Sturmey Archer to design them a three speed hub with a wider gear range. Then looking at the Pashley website, it appears their new Clubman will be available with three hub options: the S3X-3 speed fixed gear, the SRC3-3 speed with coaster brake, or the latest S2C-2 speed kickshift with coaster brake. The last one seems to have been inspired by the old Sachs duomatic hub, enabling the cyclist to both brake and change gear by back-pedaling. They used a batch of old new duomatic hubs for their Guv'nor Plus Four and a special edition of a Moulton. I remember reading in C+ about a two speed fixed wheel hub that Sturmey Archer used to make, but I'd never heard about a three speed. Interesting.

Sturmey Archer could do with updating their webpage though.

I was thinking about getting a S3X, but hear that they are going to be around £200 including cables & shifter. That seems a bit steep, but I suppose that a) they have development costs to recover and :tongue: they are likely to have a full order book for them and they will be in short supply however much they charge for them.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I expect they're only planning on a short production run so need to recoup their development costs as you say. Then you have to get it built up into a wheel.

Yellow Fang said:
I expect they're only planning on a short production run so need to recoup their development costs as you say. Then you have to get it built up into a wheel.

That bit is easy.

• Choose a suitable rim
  • Put measurements of hub & rim into a spoke calculator
  • Order/buy rim & spokes from LBS/Wiggle/whoever
  • Print out wheel building instructions from Sheldon Brown
  • Spend a zen-like afternoon putting it altogether
So far I have built a front wheel on a dynohub for my Nemesis & a set of wheels for each of my fixies.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I didn't find it particularly easy when I had a go. My attempt was decidedly wobbly. Still, I don't suppose that would matter so much with one of these hubs.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The S3X costs £180 plus £7 postage from oldbiketrader.co.uk. Mine has just arrived in stock.

This includes the hub, shifter, sprocket, chainstay clip (although I think I'll run mine along the top tube and down the seatstay, which is the way it used to be done and has some advantages) and, I think, a cable and indicator chain.

The smallest sprocket available with a new hub is 15T in 1/8", but I'm trying to get a 14T so the bike is equally suitable for TTs and general riding; gears of about 57", 68" and 90" with a 48T ring. They are Shimano-pattern splines with a lockring, not the usual SA three splines with a circlip, which presumably wouldn't be rigid enough.

jimboalee

Sunrace Sturmey Archer S3X.

Fixed 3 speed?

The info I have is 3rd ( top ) is 'straight thru' 1:1 gear.

2nd is 0.75 and 1st is 0.625.

A 20lb bike set up so 3rd is 80" ( 48 x 16 ) will give 60" in 2nd and 50" in 1st.

50" = ( 1/20 * 1000 ) The 'Olde School witchcraft' climbing gear.

Good old Sturmey.

If your bike is 22lb, you fit a 43 x 16 so you get 71, 53 and 44".

1/22 * 1000 = 45

If you're lucky and the bike is 18lb, fit a 53 x 16 to get 88, 66 and 55".

1/18 * 1000 = 55.5

If your very lucky and the bike is 16lb, you'll have to find a massive 56 ring with a 15 sprocket ( real cool ) so 1st is 62".

:ohmy:

Top Bottom